• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter 12 March 2014

Started by MarkS, Mar 14, 2014, 00:39:11

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

My first image of the year - I now have a working observatory roof (again!).

Imaging Source DBK camera on Celestron C11.  1200 frames at 1/30sec stacked in Autostakkert and post processed in Registax.

This was shot in an interval between bouts of mist and cloud.  Seeing was far from ideal and transparency not good but on the whole better than last night.  Sirius still ressembled a multi-coloured flashing disco light.

Delphine

Wow!  Super image of jupiter Mark.

Delphine

MarkH

Great effort Mark, I like your description of sirius :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ivor

Very good Mark. I'd heard the 16th is meant to be a good night for capturing Jupiter as two of the moons will be casting shadows on the surface, let's hope the evening mist and fog stops by then.

MarkS

Quote from: Ivor
Very good Mark. I'd heard the 16th is meant to be a good night for capturing Jupiter as two of the moons will be casting shadows on the surface, let's hope the evening mist and fog stops by then.

I missed March 9th when the two shadow transits occurred last time.  But I hope to catch it on 16th - weather permitting.

Mac

Nice image,

Its about time we had some decent weather, need to get on with the repair of my EQ6 though.

Mac.

MarkS

Quote from: Mac
Its about time we had some decent weather, need to get on with the repair of my EQ6 though.

Get it fixed!  It's about time!  BTW you never fully told us what happened to it - something to do with rust?

JohnP

Nice one Mark - Great to see an image.. John

The Thing

That's a good result Mark. Plenty of detail nicely processed. Roll on a properly clear night!

mickw

Can't believe you had gaps between the mist and cloud  :o

Nice result Mark
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

QuoteGet it fixed!  It's about time!  BTW you never fully told us what happened to it - something to do with rust?

The slight damp problem in the observatory caused all the bearings to rust,
among other things.   :brolly:
One sides's has been done, I just need to get the other done.
Now all the problems have gone i've got a lot more free time, so i might just get it done today.

Mac.

Carole

Very nice Jupiter Mark

Carole

Fay

well done mark.

is it all evening that the moons will be on show? wont be too clear i am thinking
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
is it all evening that the moons will be on show? wont be too clear i am thinking

Io and Ganymede's shadows will be simultaneously on Jupiter from 22:22 until 00:40
See:
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/javascript/jupiter#

Weather is looking hopeful - at least in my neck of the woods.

The Thing