• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Rosette Nebula Narrowband

Started by Carole, Feb 04, 2014, 16:36:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

As stated in my other thread in "technical" I am having a problem with my Atik383L camera which is giving shutter shadow on about 40% of my images and I am planning to get this attended to.

Undeterred I decided to stack all the images regardless and then did a separate stack of those without the shutter problem and combined the two images so that 95% of the nebula is of the greater number of subs, so ignoring the top left corner the majority of the image contains the following:

Ha 12 x 600secs 7nm
Oiii 9 x 600secs
Sii 5 x 600secs (Had to stop then because object passed behind a tree)
All Baader filters

WOZS71 Zenithstar APO
NEQ6 with EQMod (I am loving it now)

Stacked in Astroart, processed in Registar and Photoshop CS3

Also having a bit of a problem with PCs which I won't bore you with now, but I can't yet get photoshop onto my new W7 desktop and so I am having to process on my old one for the time being - it's quite surprising the difference in the monitors - what looks fine on my old Monitor looks far too bright on my new one, so Goodness knows what I have been posting in the past!!

So I hope this looks OK.  

Hoping to add to the data at some point - given the opportunity and my Camera back from repair.

Also, not all that keen on Hubble colours, so will be experimenting a bit - watch this space.  

Carole

MarkS

Wow!  That looks really good.  Was it all shot from home?

I actually really like the Hubble colours and the Rosette is a great example of it.

That's an excellent narrowband image.  The processsing looks great. Well done.

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark, yes all from the back garden in Bromley.

Carole

Carole

This is my pretty bicolour version.

Fay

That looks really good Carole!!! i like them both

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Thanks Fay.  I'm going with the flow on Hubble palette but really not keen, I guess it shows more detail. 

Carole

Carole

Further to feedback on other forums, and seeing some other people's results, I decided to also do a bicolour version.  This is the fun with narrowband, you can get so many different results.  I now prefer this to my pink version.

This is mapped Ha, Oiii, Oiii

JohnP

Carole - Like the third one best - I have never liked traditional hubble always too 'yellowy/ greeny' in my opinion. Much prefer the red/ blue image looks more natural. Also nice to see it LARGE size. Looks like you have a few artifacts down RHS that could do with a crop. Good for Bromley though.

John

Carole

Thanks John,

Yes I agree about the Hubble palette have always fought it, but lately decided I needed to "go with the flow", but like you I much prefer the Red/blue version and once I get more experienced with NB will be trying to do more of this.  Trouble is I don;t normally get much data in anything but Ha from Bromley, one of the reasons I picked Rosette. 

Can't see the artifacts you are referring to though. If possible would like to see what you mean, is it something I have done in the processing, I deliberately left the nebulosity on the right hand side. 

Carole

JohnP

Just on the far right hand side at top there are some vertical lines that go about 1/2 way down image (probably where frames have over-lapped)... Just a few mm from edge. John

Mike

That's really nice Carole. Especially the third image. Nice colour balance.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Thanks Mike.

Ah John, thanks for that.  I think actually it is some trails that I missed, had quite a few to process out.  Sigma stacking is supposed to get rid of them but never works for me.

Thanks

Carole