• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Where is the DSC next weekend - 29th nov?

Started by Delphine, Nov 24, 2013, 18:18:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

Thank you for the update - let us hope the trend in forecasts later today go with lessening cloud!

Rocket Pooch

MarkH

Mike

METEOBLUE is looking a little more promising.

Whatever the weather, i'm going anyway. Last DSC was August and last time the usual crowd attended was April.

I vote for a pub lunch on Saturday.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkH

I'm with you Mike, seems like this societies ethos suits me  :D

Roy

A pub lunch sounds a very good idea and if the pub has a roaring fire probably all the better  :D

Ivor

I'm reading full cloud cover for Friday, so I'll skip tonight and save on the babysitting costs. It looks like it will be better tomorrow evening so I might head down then as the car is all packed.

Hopefully my decision will trigger sod's law and clear the sky.

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

I'll answer my own question. There are 8 of us all set up and the sky is starting to clear!

Mac

Just popped outside and the sky here is fantastic. So it wont be long before you get it.

Mac.

Mike

Yep.  Great sky here too :)

You made a big mistake Ivor!

RobertM

Good call - had occasional cloud going through most of the night here in Orpington.  The forecast is for clear this evening though :)

Bromley council have just replaced a nearby sodium lamp with a LED version.  Unfortunately it's much taller, brighter and white :(  It does have a very good cutoff but even so the garden is now nicely illuminated and I can read a paper in the observatory whilst simultaneously trying to image :!  They'll be getting a call on Monday !

Robert

Rick

Quote from: RobertM on Nov 30, 2013, 08:32:46Unfortunately it's much taller, brighter and white :(  It does have a very good cutoff but even so the garden is now nicely illuminated and I can read a paper in the observatory whilst simultaneously trying to image :!  They'll be getting a call on Monday !

Yeah, do get onto the Bromley lighting engineer. They should be able to fit a baffle to screen your garden.

The Thing

Well, it was a great night between about 10:00 and 2:00, lovely and clear. Everyone was rushing about looking at stuff through different scopes and bins. Julian, Jim and myself were imaging. We saw comet Lovejoy to the north just below the end of the Plough handle, several really good meteors and many airplanes!

Not bad here this morning, even saw the sun for five minutes. Field is a bit soft but not too bad.