• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Windows Remote DeskTop - Grrrr

Started by RobertM, Nov 08, 2013, 11:33:42

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

I've been putting up with this software to connect to the obs laptop for a number of years now with mixed success.  Sometimes it works perfectly and sometimes not at all or very intermittently.  Infrequently, it will connect, work fine for a bit then disconnect and refuse to reconnect, it's just so frustrating when that happens !  Recently it's really been getting on my dodads so I investigated a lot further then I'd done in the past and came up with a possible explanation.

It seems that windows certified drivers aren't necessarily fully tested.  Notably NVIDIA display drivers are reported to cause problems with remote desktop (but not according to Microsoft) ! - Well since both both laptops have NVIDIA cards (like a lot of other PC's) I've decided to give up using RDT. 

So now I've given up using RDT and moved to Splash as an alternative all seems to be dandy - not had a single problem yet.  Even side by side, when RDT can't connect I can with Splash.  So now I can control the obs laptop not only from the Study laptop but also from bed on the iPad 8) (or anywhere else in the world if I stump up the £10 per year for the privilege).

I just wanted to share this problem in case anyone else is having/had the same issues.

Robert

Rocket Pooch

JohnP

Quotebut also from bed on the iPad 

Well that will make 'wifey' happy I'm sure.... ;-)

Carole

Sounds like you have sorted it Robert, but if you have any more problems and have internet connection in the Obsy, Teamviewer works really well, it's free and provided you know the current password on the obsy laptop you can access it from anywhere.  (Password changes each time you switch Teamviewer on). 

Carole

Mike

I use Teamviewer and it's excellent. Really fast.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Quote from: JohnP on Nov 08, 2013, 13:29:05
Quotebut also from bed on the iPad 

Well that will make 'wifey' happy I'm sure.... ;-)

;)