• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Facetted gallery

Started by Ivor, Nov 03, 2013, 22:24:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivor

I have been building myself a website for about a year now using Drupal a powerful content management application, this has taken far longer than planned as I have a clear vision about what I want my site to do and with a couple of hours a week to learn how to solve the various technical challenges my vision has created it has dragged on. One of these "Vision" is a faceted (think amazon search) gallery.

When I select a new target to image I normally google to see if anyone else has trying to capture the target with the same equipment wanting to know whether narrow band filters worked, what length subs worked etc, etc, what I'm planning to do is add these characteristics for myself and anyone who comes upon my site.

Currently I have one scope, one camera and one mount so this narrows down a lot of the search criteria in the first place so at the moment I only have two facets in mind which is the astronomical object(s) in the image and which filters were used, I'm interesting in hearing from others what other filter criteria they would consider useful?

Ivor

Mac

How about what software was used to process it, as well as what was done to process it,
Sigma clip, DSS, Iris, Photoshop. ect, ect.

Mac.

MarkS

Like you, I often search out other images done of regions that interest me.

I'm usually interested in:
Camera
Filter(s)
F-ratio of optical train
Total exposure time
Processing tools:  Pixinsight, Iris, "Airbrush"Shop

Ivor

Thanks there are some good ideas here some of which I'm covering in a different way which doesn't lend itself to facets. There are limitations with the facets in Drupal for example date ranges don't work well and you can't make a selection with an "OR" e.g. Filters Ha or S.

I hope to get the site published by the end of the month, the final challenge it working out correct a Drupal theme/style for the site.

MarkS

But I don't really see why you want to build something so complex ...

Ivor

Firstly intellectual challenge, and secondly the facetted gallery functionality was an added feature as the facetted functionality is used elsewhere on the site.