• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Observatory ideas in a 3m x 3m space

Started by Ivor, Oct 22, 2013, 17:31:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivor

As I don't want highjack Carole's thread I'll create a new one.

MIKE:
QuoteIvor there are other designs out there that differ from the roll-off-roof variety.

Paul's observatory for example opens out like a sewing box. You could also make your own dome based observatory. it's not too difficult to make a dome or a geodesic style roof. There are also fabric domes that fold down flat. I've also seen a triangular shaped observatory that opens out at the apex.

This page gives a good selection of designs: http://obs.nineplanets.org/obs/obslist.html

I'm very much at the early design stages and I've already found that site which provides a great source of examples. I'm viewing the sewing box solution as a back up but I'd prefer to have solution which provides a dome like cover for light pollution and protection from the elements. I'm currently considering an octagon shape with a roof shape similar to this

but with a squarer face at the front for the telescope to poke out. Considering Carole's problems with the pod I'm thinking the central roof ridge would need to be pushed back to allow imaging at the zenith, it would however create a lopsided roof.

The fun is definitely in the design, with an eye of aesthetics for it have any chance of passing the approval phase.