• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Got me AOG working

Started by Rocket Pooch, Sep 07, 2013, 23:28:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

I need to plate solve this but it should be at about 1.4 meter FL with no darks or flats, just 7 subs and the collimation is out, oh well.

MarkS

It looks great at that Focal Length.

Nice test image. The final image could be a real stunner..

Rocket Pooch

This data will get chucked, you can see the collimation issues in it, also its in low res as well.

JohnP

Yeah agree Chris - that is such a crap image.. can't believe you even had the audacity to post it on a public forum... I would have put that one straight in the bin...

Bar steward...

John

Rocket Pooch

well it's one of the two targets I'm after in France, but I need to find my a3 flat panel, thats gone walk about as well.

Tony G

Quote from: Rocket Pooch on Sep 08, 2013, 14:16:05
well it's one of the two targets I'm after in France.

France is my only target at the moment.  ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

RobertM

That's looking really good Chris !  The final should be very impressive.

Robert

Fay

Looks ok to me Chris!!!!i need to learn plate solving with AA, is it difficult to learn?

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

Quotei need to learn plate solving with AA, is it difficult to learn?

Very.

Normally you need to move your mouse to the menu and select solve.  ;)

The hardest part is getting the catalogs and installing them.

Once they are installed it is normally as simple as clicking solve,
You normally have to tell it where it thinks it was looking at, at least that way it has a fighting chance.

The catalogs can be downloaded from here if you don't have them

http://gsc.dc3.com/GSCInstall.exe

its 350M
once you have downloaded it and run iut, it will generate the files somewhere, normall either on the c:\ drive or mydocuments.
all you need to do is normally tell the plate solving software which version you are using and where the library can be found.

Mac

Fay

thought you had to know all the ins & outs of equipment to use it. thanks mac,

The Thing

Fay,

AstroTortilla will solve your images, sync EQMOD and re-slew to target when the mount is a bit off. Works with APT, Maxim, Nebulosity, Backyard EOS, any ASCOM camera. Setup is easy and downloading catalogues is part of the install process. You can select catalog files from a self-explanatory list to suit the fields of view of your different setups, or just get the lot (takes a while!).

Fay

thanks Duncan, but i dont often use EQMOD

Fay

i do have the star catalogue in AA. i am thinking that the mount has to be going etc before you choose co ordinates or plate solve? not sure at what time in the process plate solve has to be started