• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

UK For Auraua - ESA to Mars and the Moon

Started by Whitters, Sep 02, 2004, 02:45:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitters

Folks, If you want a copy of the word document Jerry mentions then drop me a line.
Paul

I hope your society can help publicise an item related to space exploration.  

It concerns a campaign to gain support for UK involvement in the ESA Aurora programme.  Following recent decisions, the start of the next phase of the programme has been deferred until 2006 and the UK needs to make a decision on an interim payment of £5m by the end of September. I have set up a website to provide background information and to encourage public support by writing letters to help ensure a favourable decision

The attached document gives further details.
I would be very grateful if you could publicise this, ideally in following ways:
• Giving details in your society newsletter • Putting information on your website, including a link to http://www.geocities.com/uk4aurora.  I am happy to add a reciprocal link on my own site.
• Announcing this item at your meetings, and putting out a printed copy of the sheet.

If you would like any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Thank you very much.

=====
Jerry Stone FBIS
Promoter - UK for Aurora
Visit http://www.geocities.com/uk4aurora

Whitters

The document :

UK for Aurora – The plan to involve the UK and why we must.   Jerry Stone FBIS
A decision is needed on an interim payment for the ESA Aurora programme by 30 September 2004.  Why is this important and what can you do to help?
Aurora is a long-term programme set up by the European Space Agency to explore the Moon and Mars, initially with robotic probes, leading the way for manned missions to both targets.
How is it different from the American proposal?
In January 2004, the President proposed future missions “to the Moon, Mars and beyond”, though at present there is no definition as to what types of missions will be included, or how they will be achieved.  In contrast, Aurora has a defined programme of missions, and the first two are already in progress: SMART1 is currently en route to the Moon, testing a new propulsion method - ion drive, and Mars Express is in orbit around the red planet, sending back excellent data.
Why should the UK be involved?
The UK has always been at the forefront of space science and involvement in Aurora will offer opportunities for various branches of science, engineering and research.  Additionally, a MORI poll showed that the general public looks on space exploration as an area which inspires national pride and self-esteem.  Also, very importantly, Aurora will provide inspiration for the next generation of scientists and engineers.
Why is action needed now?
The other main difference from the American programme is the ways the projects are funded.  NASA’s is subject to yearly review by Congress, who have already cut $1bn this year.  In contrast, Aurora funding is split into 5-year phases, and ESA member states sign up at their required level for each period.  When a new 5-year period begins, a member may revise their level of contribution.
However, as a result of recent decisions, the start of the next 5-year phase has been deferred until 2006 and as a consequence, ESA is looking for an interim payment to cover the intervening period.  The UK must make a decision on this interim payment by 30 September this year.  Action is needed now for a positive decision to help ensure that the UK does not miss out on this exciting, challenging and rewarding venture.
What are the costs?
The annual subscription during the next 5-year period will be £25m, but the interim payment that ESA is looking for is only £5m, the cost of 2 days’ work on Heathrow’s Terminal 5, and equivalent to less than 10p per person.
What can you do to help?
It is likely that the payment will have to be made on behalf of the UK by the Particle Physics and Astronomy Research Council (PPARC).  As there is no time for Parliament to debate additional funding, this money would have to come out of PPARC’s existing budget as an unplanned expense, with the hope of recovering it in a subsequent budget.  You can help ensure that a decision is made in favour of this by writing to express your support for the UK’s involvement in this project.
The relevant people to contact are as follows:
 Ian Halliday, Chief Executive, PPARC, Polaris House, North Star Avenue, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN2 1SZ
 Peter Warry, Chair, PPARC, Polaris House, North Star Avenue, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN2 1SZ
A posted letter will have the most effect, but you can also write to them by e-mail via their secretary:
 Glenys.Short@pparc.ac.uk
You can also write to the Minister for Science and Innovation:
 Lord Sainsbury of Turville, House of Lords, London, SW1A 0PW
An advantage of writing to Lord Sainsbury would be to widen the support, by asking him to show his support to PPARC and assure them of his intention to recover this outlay.  Although it is presently not government policy to be involved in manned space projects, the early work on Aurora is concentrating on robotic missions, so there should be no conflict.
You could go wider still by writing to your MP, asking them to speak to Lord Sainsbury.  You can find MP’s contact details at http://www.parliament.uk/directories/directories.cfm
I have set up a website – http://www.geocities.com/uk4aurora - to help raise public awareness of Aurora and the benefits for the UK of involvement in the programme.  It expands on the information above and encourages people to write to those involved in the decision-making process, expressing their own support.  You can find further details, including cost comparisons and suggestions of what to say in your letter.
What else can you do?
 Tell other people – family, friends, work colleagues, other groups.
 Contact your local radio and newspapers.  Send them this information.  If you don’t feel confident about talking to them yourselves, put them in touch with me.
 Arrange for a presentation on “The Case For Aurora”, such as that at the Hampstead Scientific Society on September 16.  This can be given to any group – it doesn’t have to be a science or space society.
There is much more information on the website. Please do what you can to help and let me know of your actions.  Contact me at uk4aurora@yahoo.com
Aurora will go ahead – We must decide whether to take part in this exciting challenge and to reap the rewards, or whether we will merely be spectators in the exploration of Mars.