• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Which bolts??

Started by Kylee, Dec 03, 2012, 20:52:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylee

I am putting together my imaging kit and have purchased a couple of Skywatcher dovetail plates and the Skywatcher guidescope mount, none of which come with the bolts!

I have looked on a number of forums and seen suggestions but thought I would get some confirmation if anybody knows. The thread is slightly larger than standard bolts and have seen "Whitworth" bolts mentioned.

Can anybody help?????

JonH

Yep they are whitworth, can't remember the size though. Closer to bloody wood screws than bolts! Quite why they use a thread like that I don't know! Will be a pain to find and expensive when you do!!
I drilled and tapped mine out to M6 and added a load more while I was at it....
Shoot for the stars, reach the tree tops!

Carole

It beats me why they can't supply these things with bolts in the first place.  I have even had a set of guide rings with a different thread to the dovetail plate!!!!

Carole

JonH

Quote from: Carole on Dec 03, 2012, 22:55:14
It beats me why they can't supply these things with bolts in the first place.  I have even had a set of guide rings with a different thread to the dovetail plate!!!!

Carole

I had similar with tube rings and dovetail bars with different threads!

Carole

I had to get some-one to tap the thread for me.  PITA.

Carole

JonH

I changed all mine to M6, would it be so hard for them to have some kind of standard on their parts?! It would make life easier for us and probably cheeper for them!
I mean really, pretty much no one uses Whitworth anymore!

mickw

Yep, its 1/4" Whitworth which is a very common thread - most stuff in USA and cameras, try cramming a 6mm bolt in the tripod hole - it will not be happy  ;)

Here's one of several places to buy them, if you hunt around you can also get countersunk
http://www.imperialnutsandbolts.com/fasteners-and-fittings/socket-head-cap-screws-12-9-self-colour/bsw-whitworth-socket-head-cap-screws-12-9-self-colour/1/4-bsw-whitworth-socket-head-cap-screws-grade-12-9-self-coloured/prod_555.html
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rick

1/4"W is THE standard for camera mounting. Even my little point-n-click Canon has a quarter-whitworth hole in its base.

JonH

Quote from: Rick on Dec 04, 2012, 14:41:02
1/4"W is THE standard for camera mounting. Even my little point-n-click Canon has a quarter-whitworth hole in its base.

You sure it's not UNC? Whitform but not Whitworth....

MarkS

Apparenetly Whitworth was the previous standard and UNC is used now.  But they're similar enough to be compatible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripod_(photography)

With so much camera and tripod history it would be lunacy to change it now.

mickw

Very interesting, I've always known it was Whitworth in cameras - it seems I was wrong  :oops:

Extract from Wikipedia
QuoteNearly all current still cameras accept a 1/4" UNC thread in their tripod baseplate though the UNC is close enough to Whitworth that it will fit, and many motion picture cameras accept a 3/8" UNC and, again, the Whitworth is close enough to fit, while a 5/8" UNC thread is the accepted standard for tripod mounted land surveying equipment and, once again, the Whitworth will fit

But I was close enough not to care  :P

JonH

Yea they are close enough, so long as they were made in china....
I can promise you though if the threads were actually cut to tolerance you would soon see the difference!

mickw

If the threads were cut to tolerance, the chinese ones would soon beat them into shape  ;)

JonH

Indeed there are many things in life a little leverage can fix  :lol:

If I so much as joked about using a Whitworth bolt in a UNC threaded part at work they would never let me near flight hardware again!  :-?

mickw

:lol: :lol:

So you don't work on Garuda stuff then  ;)