• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M45 (my first LRGB image)

Started by Carole, Nov 12, 2012, 01:14:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

This was an exercise to practice using LRGB filters for the first time.  I probably haven't done enough subs, or maybe even not long enough, but I wanted to complete the exercise, and this time the filters lined up OK.

Having heard lots of people complaining about terrible dew and dew heaters not doing the job properly, I was wondering what I was going to find as I never even checked mine as they always seem to work OK.

There was a nasty gradient in the bottom left corner which I have tried to process out as best I can, I am still concerned this is to do with the Atik Shutter when doing flats, despite following relevant instructions.

Atik 383L with Skywatcher ED80 Pro, Guided with NEQ6

Luminance 300 x 16 (1h 20mins)
Red & Green 6 x 300 secs
Blue 9 x 300 secs

No LP filter (I've got one somewhere but mislaid it  :!)

Ivor

There appears to be quite few patches especially the transistion from top left to M45 gas region, but I'm not sure whether that the JPG compression you've used. Were you using H or Clear for Luminance? I would have thought H would have been better for your location?

With my ST8300M I've found I need at least 10 subs per channel for RGB and even more for SII & OIII, I'm not sure how your location compared to mine (T. Wells) will impact the sub count.

RobertM

Hi Carole,

That's good as a first LRGB but it looks like you may have a spacer issue as corner stars are all equally, and evenly, elongated.  The gradient is most likely due to light pollution.

Robert

Carole

Hi Ivor,

Do you mean Ha as I don't know what H is.
a) I didn't think that Pleiades would have Ha.
b) I only have four holes in my 2" filter wheel one each for LRGB, the Ha is in a separate narrowband filter wheel.

I actually used the Blue filter for the luminance as it seemed to have much better nebulosity than the luminance.

Hi Robert, yes there is a slight amount of elongation in the corners, but no-where near as bad as it was when I first got the camera.  I tried to purchase a spacer exactly the right size, but no-one seemed to do exactly the right size, so this is very slightly out.  Not being too technical I am not sure what I can do about it, I am assuming it is the distance of the flattener lens to the sensor that is the deciding factor.  I have tried both Ian King and Bern.  Bern supplied the existing spacer.  Bit of a pain really.  

Maybe I could get JonH to do a custom spacer for me.

Carole

Ivor

Sorry, yes I meant Ha, a quick google found this example

http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/image/2702-m45-081008-les-granges-france-9x120sec-rgb-ha-atik-314l-wo-zs66-no-darks-or-flats/

I thought it would be a perfect example considering the poster :)

Fay

Gosh Ivor, do you know I dont remember using an HA filter, but just goes to show!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

QuoteI'm not sure whether that the JPG compression you've used.
Talking about that, this was a PNG file uploaded to my website and then linked to here and it has turned into a Jpeg en-route, so no compression applied.  How does this happen?  Why doesn;t it stay a PNG?

Carole

Ivor

I've gone to your website and it is a JPG there, I'm not sure how your website is setup but the upload process could be converting it.

http://www.caroleastronomy.webspace.virginmedia.com/_wp_generated/wpeb5433f5_0f.jpg

Carole

I had better re-check that Ivor, in case I have loaded the wrong image.

Carole

Mac

QuoteGosh Ivor, do you know I dont remember using an HA filter, but just goes to show!!!!

Dont worry Fay, its not really your photo anyway. ;)

Mac.

JonH

Hi Carole,
Looking good so far, wish i had a camera to do LRGB with!

Do i hear mention of my name and something custom?......
Shoot for the stars, reach the tree tops!

Carole

QuoteDo i hear mention of my name and something custom?......
Yes please Jon, I'll E Mail you to discuss if that's OK with you.
Not urgent but something I should get sorted out.

Carole

JonH

Shoot for the stars, reach the tree tops!

Carole

Just to say having seen this image displayed at BEECHE last night, it looked terrible and shows where I rubbed out one layer to show the one below and made a right pigs ear of it, but doesn't really show on my monitor.

I am therefore going to re-process it.

Carole