• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DISASTER!!!!

Started by Fay, Nov 10, 2012, 21:40:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

I put my laptop on & i heard a pop by the transformer. there are a few bare wires showing on transformer, the laptop will not come on, it shows a slight glimmer on one of the switches then goes off. does this mean it is a goner?

I thought the transformer protected it!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

My guess is that the transformer has blown but the laptop may be OK. 

Mark

mickw

Area the bare wires on the side going to the laptop or the side coming from the mains socket ?

If it's the mains side, is the cable like a kettle plug ? - you could possibly try another lead.

Stop winding your cables up like balls of string !!!!
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

Quotedoes this mean it is a goner?

Na probably a flat battery.

If its the computer side, just strip the cables back and resolder them,
If its the other side, just do the same.

Mac.

Fay

The broken wires are on the computer side.

the laptop will not come on. its battery is charged.

Mac

i take it you have unpluged the lead before trying to turn it on?
Also have you removed and reinserted the battery?
Are you 100% sure the battery is fully charged?
Some batteries have a charge indicator on the bottom, have a check.

All Laptop PSU's are normally shorcircuit protected, so even if your cables have shorted, it shouldnt have damaged your laptop.

You probably have a flat battery.

Mac.

Fay

Thanks for your help Mac.

I charged the battery the day before. i have removed & reinserted the battery. this battery rund down very quick, but was fully charged. i always used mains anyway.

mickw

If the cable was faulty, the battery might have been running down while you thought it was plugged in and charging.

Have you got one of those car adapters (the correct voltage) you could try ?

Fay

it was not on long, Mick, about half hour. as soon as I head the "pop" the laptop went off.
what car adapters?

JohnP

I think Mick is referring to one of those laptop chargers you can get that plugs into the car. I do seem to remember you buying one from Maplin...

mickw

That's what I mean, although it was plugged in, the wire might have been broken and there might not have been a connection.  Then something move and it went pop.

You can get car adapters that you plug into cigarette lighters and run you laptop off them, maplins sell some, just need to make sure connector will fit and voltage is right.
I think quite a few have them for various reasons.

Fay

An extremely vulnerable female rushed through PC Worlds doors as they opened, straight to problems desk. this lovely man has sorted it!!!! Yippee!!!

Transformer defunct, so have new one. Battery needs replacing. he said they are only meant to charge 300 times. Suggested Parts master for a new one.

He went through process of elimination, he was very good, they dont always do things at the counter, you have to leave them there.

I am so pleased

MarkS

Well done - glad it wasn't major and you got it sorted so quickly!

All ready for tonight then - which should be clear.  Hopefully not as foggy as last night - I had to stop imaging at 1am :-(

Mark

The Thing

Quote from: MarkS on Nov 11, 2012, 11:57:17

Well done - glad it wasn't major and you got it sorted so quickly!

All ready for tonight then - which should be clear.  Hopefully not as foggy as last night - I had to stop imaging at 1am :-(

Mark

Same here, the murk was making Jupiter all smudgy.

mickw

Glad it's sorted and amazed PCW were helpful and didn't try and rip you off.

If you always use it plugged in you'll probably not need a battery anyway (they are expensive).
You could try unplugging the mains and just let the battery go completely flat (leave it overnight) a few times before charging it again, there's a chance it might start accepting a full charge again.

I've been using a crappy laptop about 14 years old and still on the same battery.