• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp - 9th to 12th Nov

Started by Mike, Nov 06, 2012, 15:53:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

We have a deep sky camp due this weekend. Who is going?

I have an email from Jackie at Rother Valley to say that the field is a no-go area due to it being completely sodden after the rain. So if we did go it would need to be Blacklands unless someone has an alternate location?

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

The Thing

I won't be coming to this one, alternative plans have been laid by my other half AND her sister. Warth of the Ivors missus kind would result from any dissension.

JonH

Well I was planning to go, has Blacklands got hook ups? Also where is it?
Shoot for the stars, reach the tree tops!

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JonH

Looks good to me, i'm up for it weather permitting.
Forecasts so far don't look good at all, but we all know how they can change on an hourly basis......

Fay

i am doubtful i will be going, but keeping an open mind
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Ivor

I have a night pass for Saturday night.

MarkS

I'm not surprised Rother Valley is off limits - my own garden (which is usually a good indicator) is a bit squelchy in places.

I'll be watching the weather before making a final decision on Blacklands.

Mark

Mike

Blacklands appears to be OK. I have the following reply from Leon....

"Hi Mike, the top field is essentially always ok, as it is very well drained. This time of year, any area of the field you prefer will be fine. It is unlikely anyone will be at the reception, but you should find some envelopes there to put your fees in and post through the reception door..
Best
Leon"

JonH

I take it that means no real need to book?...

Mike

No not at Blacklands. So just turn up. To pay you put money in an envelope at the reception hut and pop it in the letter box. We usually camp near the toilet blocks over towards the corner by the tractor. There are hook-ups there. The lights on the toilet block can be disabled by putting some dark tape over the PIRs.

JonH

Would that be the field that doesn't have the pond along the side?

Carole

I'm awaiting the weather forecast.

Carole

The Thing

Quote from: JonH on Nov 07, 2012, 12:19:19
Would that be the field that doesn't have the pond along the side?
Yes. Isn't Google Maps wonderful:)

JonH

I'd be lost without the technology of today! Literally!!