• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

IC63 - with Atik 314L+

Started by JohnP, Sep 21, 2012, 16:27:14

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Well jealous of all those great images from Kelling I went out in my garden on Tuesday night this week. Decided to have a go at a wider field IC63. This is quite a tough object (especially from Bromley) but hoped that the 7nm Baader would do a good job. Anyway imaging details are:

Atik314L+ @-10degC
ED80
Off Axis Guiding
Baader 7nm
2 x 10mins + 13 x 15mins

This object lies very close to the middle star in Cassiopeia & you can see the bright halo from this in top half of image...

Thks for looking,  John.

Carole

I like that John, but would never have guessed what the Halo was.

Carole

RobertM

What a wonderful image!  Lovely detail and looks well processed too.   It needs a long session to get it looking like that and it's such a tricky target with Gamma Cassiopeia so close.  I think the halo artefact is difficult to avoid but it's none too intrusive in your image.

Nice one !

Robert

MarkS

Very impressive John!  Good looking data and nicely processed.

I think that halo effect is quite interesting - you even got it central!

Mark

The Thing

So smooth. It's amazing what you can capture with narrowband, even from Bromley. Maybe you should go the Carole route and add colour using a DSLR...

Rocket Pooch

Very good, the filter has really cut through the orange.

Fay

cant see the picture John
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
cant see the picture John

Have you tried putting your glasses on?

Carole

QuoteMaybe you should go the Carole route and add colour using a DSLR...
Don't think that's going to be a permanent method, it was just an experiment:
a) to see if if would work, and
b) while I am saving up for 2" LRGB filters.

Carole

Fay

Very good John, it is a hard one to get well

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Cheers all for the comments. Yes, the 7nm definitely cuts through all the Bromley murk & at least makes B&W imaging possible. I have a set of 1 1/4 inch RGB filters & will try these out soon although not expecting too much from Bromley regards colour. I'm not a Narrow Band colour image fan so no plans at mo to get S2 or O3.

I kinda like the glow from Gamma Cass - It's only located about 3ly away & it's intense radiation has a big effect on the way this nebula looks/ glows. Again the composition was just fortunate - I just did a goto & IC63 ended up centre with the glow centrally positioned at the top.

I must admit am really feeling infused about imaging again since getting the 314 from Carole. The camera is so sensitive & gives a nice field of view with the ED80. Processing is also easy - This image was just a straight stack, No darks, No flats or Bias's. I did a non-linear stretch in aip4win & then few minor adjustments & cosmetic things to get rid of the few hot pixel streaks in PShop. I must get round to do a library of darks sometime....

Anyway thanks again for the positive comments,  John.

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

JohnP