• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M45 taken at Rother Valley DSC

Started by JonH, Sep 17, 2012, 21:59:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

JonH

As my processing has move on a bit I decided to have another go at this, all the same as before except stacked in Iris this time.
I'm not entirely sure if I have done something wrong or not, I have managed to pull out more detail and star colour but also found a great big halo around one of the central stars. Quite what the deal is with that I don't know, but it wouldn't go away!

Anyway, here it is.....

Larger version:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8195/8075219866_b4b0ab97c5_k.jpg
Shoot for the stars, reach the tree tops!

The Thing

Looks good. The large version has a lot more nebulosity. Don't know what the coloured haloes are but they are on the brightest stars and off centre so probably internal reflections of some sort. Also the magenta colour isn't Italy usually a feature M45...

MarkS

The haloes are around all the brighter stars.

Is your CLS filter new (in which case it shouldn't produce haloes) or is it secondhand (in which case it could be an older type)?

Astronomik had a policy of replacing the older halo producing filters - it was necessary to send them a sample image plus a complete description of the imaging chain - in particular where exactly the filter sits in that chain.  Dunno if that replacement policy had an end date.

Mark

JonH

I'm still having trouble getting the colours right, the difference between my tv and laptop seems to be one extreme to the other, the reds really couldn't be much further apart!

My CLS filter was indeed second hand so have no idea at all about how old it is so will have to look into that for sure!
Trying my best not to sound too dumb here, but image chain???

MarkS

Quote from: JonH
Trying my best not to sound too dumb here, but image chain???
I meant optical train (all the optical components) not imaging chain.

JonH

That makes sence. I had no idea the older CLS filters could cause that problem, google didn't give me anything much about it so will be dropping them an email soon as i get a chance.