• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Centre of Heart neb ic1805 - Bromley

Started by JohnP, Aug 19, 2012, 22:10:10

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Took this last night after a day out at sunny Whitstable with the kids... Actually totally knackered & ended up falling asleep till gone 3.00am so got more subs than I had planned for :-) Anyway details as follows:

Atik 314L+ at -5degC (It was damn hot last night)
ED80
7nm Baader Ha
Off Axis Guider
15 X 10mins
No darks, Flats or Bias - Just a quick process & stretch in Pshop...

I love this neb - the centre is so intricate with lots of twists & swirls - always reminds me of a gnarled old tree...I also got a few subs on Crescent which I will process & post up later...

Cheers,  John

MarkS

Very nice.  You're right about the swirling clouds - they really do look good.  The dust clouds have also come out very well. 

The image as a whole looks very clean, contrasty and noise-free.

Mark

JohnP

Thks Mark - Appreciate comments - It's amazing what you get when you fall asleep on the job... ;-)  John

MarkS

Quote from: JohnP
It's amazing what you get when you fall asleep on the job... ;-)  John

I was doing the Helix Nebula last night.  I set it all running at 11:30pm then fell asleep in a chair in the conservatory until 5am.  However I did wake up at 1am, so I went outside for a quick check.

I had already checked the scope wouldn't collide with the tripod or my equipment table during the night.

Fay

Trust you dont always fall asleep on the job, John! ;)

you are taking some nice images with your new camera John. some more nice detail to the right of centre, as well, that has a lot more you could bring out 
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Looks really good John but is the black a bit clipped (looks like that on my monitor).

So the secrets out - you produce these images in your sleep under thought control :)

JohnP

Thks Fay & Robert.

Fay - I tried not to push it too hard in the processing to keep the noise down - On my 24inch monitor I can see tons of detail so didn't want to push anymore.

Robert - Are you sure it is not your monitor - I definitely don't think its clipped (at least not according to Phshop). It may be that it is a little too dark but again I was trying to be careful with noise. Below is a marginally brighter image - maybe this is better on your display. Let me know?

Thks for comments,  John

RobertM

Hi John,

I think you might be right about my monitor.  I think I've historically made that comment quite a lot before, possibly unjustifyably, and so I'm thinking the same thing.  In fact after I posted I remembered that you'd got yourself a well decent monitor so it should be right (I know you're fussy about that type of thing!).  May be it's time to get a decent monitor or get this one set up correctly with a Spyder or the like.

Robert

Fay

that looks good on my screen Robert.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Looks absolutely correct on my monitor.

Mark

JohnP

Thks Fay/ Mark for clarification - John

The Thing

Looks super on my monitor. Lovely capture John.

Want to borrow a Spyder Robert?

JohnP

cheers Dunc - appreciate that - John

RobertM

Could be a good idea Duncan, I might be able to appreciate the posted images a bit more :)