• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp - 17th to 20th August

Started by Mike, Jul 30, 2012, 10:07:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

I think that was a fair letter from Jackie. we should not burn our bridges, and we can use it in the winter months.

Blacklands is usually quite a full place with tents all over the place, in summer, although a nice site.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

I fully understand Jackie's E mail and personally I am surprised this has not happened before now. 

Rother Valley for the Winter and elsewhere in the summer sounds good.
But will we not be in a similar situation with other summer camps?

Campsites with no hook up counts me out I am afraid. 
Happy with Blacklands.

Carole

Tony G

Quote from: Mike on Aug 02, 2012, 19:18:27
I've still got an 85Ah and a 110Ah leisure battery so can run off that and can put up with the lack of facilities.

Tuesnoad it is then! and I still have some Thermite.  :twisted:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mac

I can understand the E-mail response, but I cant believe that they have turned away weekly campers.
Its not as if the field iscompletly packed with standing room only.

On a different note, Rather then looking for a campsite,
how about looking for a farmers field, like you used to do with pennys.

I've always got the Genny for those who cant live without their curling tongs and hairdryers
mains for the computers, and at least you can charge your batteries during the day.

Mac.

Carole

QuoteI've always got the Genny for those who cant live without mains for the computers
That's a nice offer Mac, but you're not always at camp, plus I am totally mains operated these days, Mount, DSLR cabled battery, Laptop, dew heaters and camping fridge. 

My Leisure battery died a long time ago and not keen to purchase another one, in any case it isn't up to running the camping fridge for more than a few hours and then I have nothing left for running the astro kit.  Plus I have started taking a mini electric cooker with me of late. 

It would be great if Tuesnoad now had power, though I would hesitate to go there if it is muddy after the last experience.

Carole

Rocket Pooch

Your all too soft now thats the problem we dont use Electricity any more....

mickw

I think that was Norwood Farm it's only a couple of miles away.

http://www.norwoodfarmnewchurch.co.uk/
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

so will it be explosions, khoom fays, lasers & shooting for all at Tuesnoad, or Blacklands for imaging,this month?

Ivor

Wasn't there a Astronomy society who tried to organised an event around Romney Marsh, does anyone know where it was? It might be a suitable venue.

I also remember something about Ashdown forest we have a link in the forum http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=2626.msg10198#msg10198 also this
http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/99013-ashdown-forest/ I can't access Facebook from work but I think Edenbridge & District Astronomers seem to do something there. www.facebook.com/.../Edenbridge-District-Astronomers/123432501

mickw

The Romney Marsh event was at Norwood Farm but it was over the same weekend as Kelling and it got called off due to lack of numbers.

I believe the Edenbridge group go to a site where it is chalets not camping.

SGL and the astro camp is invite only although the car parks around the forest would be OK for visual, not sure I'd feel comfortable setting up all the kit when there's no kind of security.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

Ivor the Romney Marsh site would be a suitable venue except they have an annoying light in the middle of the campsite.  When the Dymchurch star party was organised they had taken over the whole camp and it could be switched off, but at other times that's not possible, which from our point of view is a real shame.

The one in Ashdown Forest is at the home of one of our members.

Carole

Carole

I'm getting confused now.  Which is the one with the light, Norwood Farm or Romney Farm.  Have we sussed them both out?

Carole

MarkS

This image is Norwood Farm (I was camped furthest from the lights - there's no way to avoid them):

I believe Chris has been to Romney Farm - it's the one with a bright light in the middle.

Carole

So both as bad as each other from that point of view then.

Carole

Fay

weather is going to get better so we have to decide on DSC because of booking a suitable place, if Blacklands