• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp - 17th to 20th August

Started by Mike, Jul 30, 2012, 10:07:46

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

I don't remember 1/4ly  DSCs only bi-monthly ones but the change to monthly came about because there was an unofficial DSC arranged virtually every alternate month to the official ones and it seemed pointless not to bring them all together.

I think it did work well for a while, but for some it was perhaps too much of a good thing.

Like John I agree with everything said - except about tuesnode, the owner did nothing for us.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

JohnP

Quotethe owner did nothing for us

Except let us... Fire bows & arrows & pellet guns & make laser patterns in the middle of the night & ignite thermite & let off Koom Fays... oh & don't forget letting dogs chase his sheep - Still has to be one of my funniest memories ever of a DSC when Chris was running round the field trying to catch Frodo...

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: JohnP on Jul 31, 2012, 14:15:45
Still has to be one of my funniest memories ever of a DSC when Chris was running round the field trying to catch Frodo...

He is a reformed dog now!

Mac

QuotePersonally if it was like the old day with Air Guns and more fun, I'd be more likely to go again.

I agree,
every month for the DSC is too much, I personally think that when it was 1/4ly it was much better
as there seemed to be more enjoyment, Fires, shooting, ect, and yes if it nice then an UDSC could be arranged.

So i am one of the ones that have moved away, but for me its nearly a 400mile round trip
and to do that every month with an 80% chance of cloud, doesn't seem worth justified it to me.

If it was every 3 months then yes i would more then lightly to put the effort in to get down there, come what may with the weather,

The other problem for me, is that i have to book A/L for every camp, as I work Sundays, so thats another
thing that I have to consider.

4 days A/L per yer for DSC is no problem,
12 is a bit much.

Although for the last two years I had virtually no free weekends due to the amount of work we had for the Olympics.

Mac.

Carole

If it's going to be quarterly then would it be a good idea not to pick the dates that clash with Kelling in the Spring and Autumn. 

Carole

Mac

The Thing

I think quarterly is a good idea. Also a memorial DSC to Tuesnoad is in order just to make sure we remember the levels of sheep shit and how bad the loos were correctly - you never know there may have been changes! It was very dark which is the main criteria for a DSC site.

BTW if you feel driving for hours to Kelling is a substitute for a good DSC, I would only do it if the weather could be guaranteed. Any one for Herstmonceux?

Carole

The trouble is now some of us are only set up for hook up, and a memorial DSC at Tuesnoad and Herstmonceux don't have hook up, unless things have changed at Tuesnoad.  I didn't mind the sheepshit, it was the lack of hook up and the mud that put me off.

Carole

Tony G

So as in the previous thread for the last DSC, it really didn't make any difference sending the dates to Jackie, as she has let the corner out next month anyway, so us cancelling shouldn't have made a difference either.
In reality we go to DSC for our benefit, and if the venue, or the weather is not favourable then it is our right to cancel, as it is Jackie's right to say that she has booked our usual area to someone else.
I just hope that those people are willing to camp there over the winter.

I have now just stepped off the soapbox and tend to agree with most of the responses concerning reverting back to either once ever couple of months or once a quarter, but if they fall on the same time as Kelling, this should not stop a DSC from going ahead as our DSC are planned around moon phases as much as what Kellings is, and so it would be up to the individual to choose. If the two camps do go ahead at the same time, and it is found to be a cast iron certainty that say Kelling is going to be a wash out then you have the opinion of attending the more local DSC (unless you haven't booked :-?) whilst your vehicle is still filled to the gunnels with camping and astronomy equipment.

Can we buy a field? or Squat on a plot of land :cheesy:

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rick

Quote from: Tony G on Aug 01, 2012, 18:13:55has let the corner out next month anyway, so us cancelling shouldn't have made a difference either.

Seems to me that she had kept the corner free for the July DSC, and then DSC was cancelled. Once bitten...  :ferret:

Fay

So will august DSC be at Blacklands? we will have to book soon as will be a popular time.
I think Rother will still be ok in the off season, if you want to swallow, as it does suit us.  
Also when the weather is forecast to be bad, other campers also cancel or dont turn up, and Rother could have an emptyish site if that august weekend is a washout, anyway.  

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

Quote from: Rick on Aug 01, 2012, 18:32:17
Seems to me that she had kept the corner free for the July DSC, and then DSC was cancelled. Once bitten...  :ferret:

Even more reason to find somewhere else.
Wouldn't it be terrible for 'our corner' was to be given to someone else everytime the weather (which our hobby realise quite a lot on) was that bad that we had to cancel, and that music festivals nationwide were being cancelled, campers and the rescue parties themselves were being airlifted to safety from flooded campsites, flooding like has never been seen before, because if that is the case there is no reason to issue Rother with dates with our present weather as we will never get in that corner. :-?

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

Today I had the following email sent by Jackie at Rother Valley....

"Dear Mike,

Further to our conversation on Sunday I regret to say that it is unlikely I can save you your preferred pitches in our busy Summer months. I am still holding two pitches for August, but would need a firm commitment and payment of a deposit to continue to hold these. ( which I assume you won't want to do as your hobby is so weather dependent)

As you are aware we are a small family run business and we have to make ends meet which believe me is extremely difficult at the moment. I just cannot justify holding pitches for you on the off chance that you may come for one or two nights. I have turned away week long bookings from regular customers in the past in order to hold you pitches only to find the day before that you are not coming.

During the Summer months we have families that wish to book one or two full weeks and they pay a deposit. They will come regardless of the weather as it is their main Summer Holiday. I just cannot afford to turn this business away.

I hope you understand and are able to find an alternative spot that fits in with your group's requirements. Obviously we will always welcome you if we have space, but the pitches will need to be booked when you know you're definitely coming.

Regards,

Jackie"

Comments please.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

I think it is a fair comment.

We have had a good run of having particular pitches reserved for us, I don't think we've had it elsewhere (tuesnode doesn't count).

This is probably where the monthly DSCs have bit us in the arse, the odds of us blowing out a DSC due to the crap weather is obviously quite high with monthly events.

I would suggest that we try and part company amicably, I assume that Rother Valley would still be willing to accommodate us in the winter months (ad hoc) as would Blacklands (open all year).

And for those who don't know, I would like to thank Mike for initially negotiating the allocation of the pitches at Rother Valley
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

I agree. I think I should reply to say thanks but we will find an alternate site and will use Rother in the winter (ground conditions allowing). In the meantime I say we revert to Blacklands and look for another site.

I'm also up for going back to Tuesnoad (if he will let us). I've still got an 85Ah and a 110Ah leisure battery so can run off that and can put up with the lack of facilities.

I've already started looking for other sites in the Rother Valley area and have emailed a few.

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan