• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp - July 20th to 23rd

Started by Mike, Jul 17, 2012, 07:36:34

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

QuoteMind you its the most interesting topic on this forumn this week.

Yep agreed & funny how people who have never been to a DSC decide to comment...

I am sure Jackie will be able to rent out pitches....

Rocket Pooch

Thats the way society works John :-)

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: RobertM on Jul 17, 2012, 20:52:34
Who's Larry, another Rocket Pooch ?

Na Larry the Land Rover.....

MarkS

Given that Jackie had already saved the corner area for us, Thursday was definitely a bit late to tell her we had changed our (collective) mind. I hadn't realised this was the case.

It's a shame that only 4 people were interested in going - it has been in the diary for months so it wasn't a surprise event.  Also, since we haven't had a DSC for ages because the weather has been so bad I was thinking everyone would jump at the opportunity.

I guess I'll see a few of you next week instead, then.  Who's going, despite the Olympics?

Rocket Pooch

There no way I'm going to book for next weekend, what if it rains, oh no she will shoot us all!

:squirrel:

Carole

I won't go next weekend either the Moon is too bright.

I'd still like to go this weekend but I think it would be too wet at Rother after all the rain, and if no-one else is going I don't want to be on my own, plus Jackie will probably be trying to book out our corner now.

I am still up for Blacklands if any-one else is going.  But need to know soon as it takes me ages to pack. 

Carole

MarkS

Forecast certainly looks excellent for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights, plus the bonus of good weather during the day.

My ground at home is firm, which is normally a very good indicator for the conditions at Rother. 

Mark

Tony G

So can I ask who booked the corner this time around, as usually we have this discussion about the field, and then it is agreed that we are going. At that point someone speaks to Jackie and confirms their booking at the same time asking if a few more pitches could be reserved.
Why is this time different??????
Are we expected to use Rother each month, no matter what the weather??????
I can guarantee that if you were to visit Rother this weekend, someone will be pitched in the corner, and the field will not be full due to others cancelling for the same reason as a few on here, the recent weather.
As said already with owning a campsite, the great British weather plays a great part and so you have to take the rough with the smooth, bumper bookings in the hot weather and cancellations in the bad weather.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

Yes, because the weather has been 100% torrential for the last 3 months, there was no reason to think it would be any different this weekend. Myself, I assumed this & did not get myself into gear. I should have remembered you cant rely on the weather :)

We have to prepare in advance because of all the equipment etc we take. Yes, it is a hazard of running a camping field that you will get a lot of cancellations all through the year because the weather changes. Jackie notices us because we are a largish group, at times.

Well, if there is going to be a turnout next week, i will give up the joy of the Olympic opening ceremony & make an appearance, if not for the sky (moon) then for the company.

Tony could you hang glide over the site to check on the corner.....................

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

It would have to be a big glider........ ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rick

Quote from: Tony G on Jul 20, 2012, 09:26:27So can I ask who booked the corner this time around

I think the answer's in this post. During the less-than-busy months it probably doesn't make a lot of difference if DSC cancels fairly late, but at this time of year it seems she's turned away other punters in order to keep pitches clear for DSC...

Tony G

Rick,

These dates were sent to Jackie back in February, when we were just about to start hosepipe bans around the country due to the extreme weather.
At that point in time no-one knew that we would be suffering this current weather, and all the campsites around the country were rubbing their hands with expected bookings.

Maybe in hindsight it should have read "All dates now forwarded to Rother Valley............dependent on the wettest summer on record"

Tony G

Rocket Pooch

Crap just been there look Tony were all wrong.

Tony G

Chris,

Is the corner still free?

Tony G

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!