• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Windows 7 pro. Black screen of death.

Started by Mac, Jun 01, 2012, 07:08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

Any takers for this one.

I seem to have acquired the dreaded black screen of death that's currently stiffing windows 7 users. :!

Now these are the following symptoms.
Windows updates are turned off, anyway. (well at least the were)
System scans clean for viruses (using avast from a different system, dont you just love hyperos :cheesy:)
System scans clean for malware.
Windows boots ok in safe mode, access to everything.
booting windows normally only gives me a black screen and a cursor (which you can move)
nothing happens with mouse clicks.

Graphic drivers have been removed and reinstalled, (no change)

There is no access to the task bar or command prompt or anything else for that matter (unless in safe mode).
There are no disk errors.

I can restore this Windows 7 in 10 mins via hyperos, but i like the challenge or trying to sort it out.
but its had me going now for nearly 24 hours.

All services that are not needed and all boot options have been disabled from safe mode,
so windows should be booting with nothing extra.

From F8 and running in VGA mode, exactly the same.

Just remembered haven boot logged it yet.

Back in a mo.

Mac.

JohnP

Well all I can say Mac is if you can't suss it out I doubt any of us can... :-( Is it possible to try & create a different user account & log in with that instead of your normal one...? (or do you have to be in Windows to do that...)

mickw

If I understand correctly, on start up you actually boot to Hyperos which then directs you to your chosen partition/OS.

Could be Hyperos has thrown a wobbler (sorry about the use of technical jargon)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

The Thing

I had this on my laptop (Vista Home Premium 32bit) last Friday. It was the Nokia software and driver I installed so I could tether my phone at DSC. Uninstalling the driver after restoring to the last known good configuration fixed it, otherwise no images at DSC :(

Mac

QuoteCould be Hyperos has thrown a wobbler

Nope, Hyperos is working exactly as it should, allowing me to change between my different systems,
if it had, then all of the systems would be bad.

Once my systems are setup, I dont tend to let windows do any updating,
The only thing that gets updated is the Avast, Zonealarm, and the malware scanners.

And normally, i dont let systems access the internet if they dont need to either.

diddnt think about creating another user :roll: :oops:

I'll give that a go.

Mac.

Mac

Well booted into safe mode, and created andother user call Test.
Rebooted and logged onto Test,

Windows just hangs whilst creating the user.

So its definatly a windows problem, just cant put my finger on it at the moment.

Mac

Tony G

Being a carpenter by trade, I know all about this.

Firstly Mac, go and buy a Mac.

Problem solved. ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mac

After hours of digging, its looking like its being caused by a corrupt registry.

The problem is finding where about in the registry its being corrupted.

more digging.

Mac.