• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Pelican Nebula IC5070 & IC5067 + a reprocess

Started by Carole, May 14, 2012, 17:33:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

After doing Venus last night, I switched to the DSLR and had a go at the Pelican Nebula.
This is my first try at this object as a "stand alone" object.
Pity I chopped off the end of it's beak.
Hope to add to it, or better still get all of it in next time!!!

This is 1 hour 40 mins in total
20 x 5mins 800 ISO Modified Canon 450D CLS filter
Skywatcher ED120 F7.5
Guided with QHY5 ST80 on NEQ6
Processed in DSS and Photoshop

Carole

mickw

Is that a crop ?
It seems to look a bit "grainy"

Looking good though
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

No it's the full frame Mick.
Yes it is a bit grainy, I think it needs more data, but it's the best I have done on this object to date, it being included in NGC7000 a couple of times.

Carole

RobertM

That's pretty good considering.  What time of the morning did you do the capture ?

Carole

After midnight Robert, I finished imaging as it was getting light and had to throw away the last few as it was too light which was about 4am, so I guess I must have started around 2am.  Although I did actually start about an hour before that, but something went wrong and APT only captured 1 of the 12 subs I did earlier so I wasted nearly an hours imaging time. 

Forgot to mention I dithered with this image.
Also needs a dark site I think.

Carole

RobertM

Yes, I thought you must have been up with the crows to capture that !

You'll always need a dark site for broadband data so don't expect too much from around here.

MarkS

Looks good -you can't expect much better from where you are.

Have you thought about using an H-alpha filter with your new Atik?  You'd be amazed at the difference.

Mark

Carole

QuoteHave you thought about using an H-alpha filter with your new Atik?
Err...... was waiting for that one to come up. 

I have sold my Mono Atik (to John), as after a few sessions using it, I decided I didn't have the patience for doing different filters and having to do several sessions just to get one image (sometimes spread over several weeks with poor weather conditions) etc etc and am not keen on mono.  I have to take my hat off to you guys and Fay who do mono and filters, you have more patience than me. 

I should have stuck to my original plan of a OSC but let myself be talked into Mono.  I will be getting a OSC CCD camera at some point but I have shelved it for the time being because I have too many other problems going on in my life at the moment. 

Have also sold the LRGB filters and the filterwheel.

Carole

Mac

QuoteI didn't have the patience for doing different filters and having to do several sessions just to get one image (sometimes spread over several weeks

Weeks? months more like  :cheesy: ;)

You might be a bit upset at OSC images from where you are, only because of the Light pollution.

Mac.

Carole

I have re-processed this image as I do have a tendency to over stretch.
Is this any better?

Fay

I feel you just need a lot more longer subs, to make a big difference Carole.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Yes, I know I really need more subs Fay, not sure if longer is better with a DSLR though.
But just wanted to know if the processing was better.

Carole

Fay

I think it is a bit better Carole, but not sure you will sort the noise out enough for you to be really happy with it.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!