• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hello from Klitos

Started by Klitos, Mar 22, 2012, 23:14:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Klitos

A warm hello to all fellow amateur astronomers on this forum. I joined the OAS at the January meeting, and have just come back from tonight's meeting. Both talks were very interesting. I look forward to joining some of you at an observing evening soon. Some of you will have also met me at the annual dinner in January.

So, who am I and where did I find you? I'm Klitos Kyriacou, born in Cyprus, where I had my first glimpse of the night sky and where my fascination with it first started. I moved to inner London at the age of 10, where the skies suffered so much light pollution I could see less than half the stars that I did in Cyprus, but it didn't stop me. I joined the Haringey Astronomical Society as a teenager, and when I took Physics at university I chose as many astronomy-related options as I could. Unfortunately, I then chose a career in computing and concentrated on that and stopped observing the stars for twenty years or so. I had been meaning to get back into it and join a local astronomy society for some time, and finally took the plunge with the OAS and I'm glad I did.

My other hobby is flying gliders at Kent Gliding Club, near Ashford. Now why did I choose hobbies that are both affected by the weather... well, I guess one thing they both have in common is that when the weather is bad we say "Oh well, never mind eh?" and have a pint of beer. Not bad eh?

Rocket Pooch

Welcome Klitos I look forward to seeing you at DSC's and other meetings soon.

doug

Hi Klitos.  Nice to meet up with you again last night and glad you enjoyed the meeting.  Hope to see you soon at one of the observing evenings.  The skies wont` be as clear as the Cyprus skies, but we still have a good time.

Doug and Rose.  :D
Always look on the bright side of life ...