• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

March DSC

Started by Rocket Pooch, Mar 09, 2012, 11:22:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

I might bring the meade tonight now the weather looks ok, ish.

Carole

MORNING CAMPERS!!!!!

Greetings from Lucksall SGL7 near Hereford.
Very nice camp, luxurious toilets and showers, but big disadvantage is if you want to camp for more than 4 days you have to move your tent - yeah right!!!!  (They don't want the grass ruined).  Luckily i am not ina tent on this occasion, I'm sharing a caravan.

Skies are quite dark but some LP from Hereford.  Can't see the Milky Way but it's a darn sight better than Bromley.
I did M51 (3 hours) and Sombrero galaxy (only 35 mins due to it being behind a hill, caravan, tree) and then is started to mist up, both done with the DSLR.  Hope to try to get some more another night, but tonight if it's clear going to try for first light with my Atik.

Lots of things happening on Saturday:
Various talks,
Bring and buy sale,
Hog roast

Internet WIFI provided but it's a bit patchy as to when and where it works.

Hope you're all having a good time at Rother Valley.

Carole

MarkS

I hope to arrive around 8pm.

See you there!

Jim

Gutted I'm missing this. Will be with you in spirit (40%!!). For a laugh this was one of our nutritionally balanced imagers meals at Ollies!

whiskey galore (1 of 1) by jim_mehta, on Flickr

JohnP

QuoteFor a laugh this was one of our nutritionally balanced imagers meals at Ollies!

So was that meal before or after you played with Ollies Lunt.... ;-)

mickw

Jim, you've been told many, many times STOP SCRAPING OTHER PEOPLES FOUL BOTTOMS
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

mickw

Shields up ........................
Lot of mist coming up from the South which will probably follow the Rother  :(

On the positive side, a great night for "laser art"

The Thing

I'm here (as it were). Ground is better than last time. Meteoblue says it will be clear. Sat 24 is looking good. The Rother is the joker in the pack when it comes to mist though :)

A lad is camped at the end in the trees so I haven't started laying out the national grid extension to the clearing in the woods as discussed last time as it would be a bit unfair on him, he has work at Great Dixter at 9:15 tomorrow.  I've set up in the middle of the field. Seemingly the bright light has been re-pointed down and away as much as possible. Proof is in the pudding...

Mike

Well my plans to get down to the field by about 5pm have been well and truly skuppered by work. I reckon I won't be there now till about 9pm. I hate setting up kit in the dark.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Great Dixter bloke won't be late for work if he's woken up at 3am  :lol:

MarkS

Dark sky directly above with SQM 20.9 but misty towards horizon.  The weird French stuff has gone cloudy so I guess its pretty cold.   Solid sunshine forecast for tomorrow!

Carole

We got back from buying some fish and chips last night only to find a gigantic camper van parked in the next hard standing right next to where I had set up and it was obscuring half the sky!!!  Luckily the bloke who I am sharing with went and asked them to move it to the other side of the pitch just in time before they set up their awning!!!!!!!!
(They were newbies and didn't realise about Astro etiquette).

Although it was clear at Lucksall last night it was very hazy, you couldn't even make out Orion properly, guiding went crazy because of it, so gave up.  Shame really as it was clear all night other than the haze.
Now it is daylight I can see what the problem was -  it's actually foggy.

We're right next to the River Wye, but the haze was not coming from the river, it was all over.  

Carole

Rocket Pooch

Didn't get back from work till after 7pm so were on our way today.

MarkS

Mist came across at 3am which terminated a great nights imaging.  We also imaged "Return of The Thing"

Mike

Quote from: Rocket Pooch on Mar 24, 2012, 08:45:36
Didn't get back from work till after 7pm so were on our way today.

No excuse. I didn't get home till just before 7pm but i'm here.  ;)

Pretty good night last night. A bit misty but we were all imaging. I got a shot if the Supernova in M95 and we found the comet in a pair of binoculars.

Nice sunny day now and the sound of sausages sizzling is drifting across the campsite.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan