• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Cloudy skies all of March......

Started by Jim, Mar 02, 2012, 11:33:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

Sorry; I bought a new Mount. It's an ioptron EQI45. Arrived this morning. I used one at Ollies last week and really liked it so took a deep breath, raided the savings and ordered on.

Boxes below

IMG_0079 by jim_mehta, on Flickr

The mount is really sturdy and well built

IMG_0081 by jim_mehta, on Flickr

The attachment at the top is somewhat different to my Sphinx, and is screwed from the top rather than the bottom. Seems secure enough

IMG_0082 by jim_mehta, on Flickr

Cables and counterweights

IMG_0080 by jim_mehta, on Flickr

Looks like a 2/3 copy of a AstroPhysics mount from the side.

IMG_0085 by jim_mehta, on Flickr

The Alt adjustment

IMG_0084 by jim_mehta, on Flickr

Attached with the counterweight bar

IMG_0083 by jim_mehta, on Flickr

A view if the drive motor. Interestingly they use a belt which hopefully should reduce backlash/stitch in one element of the drive train. The worm gear is also pushed onto the axis by a spring rather than being permanently fixed, again I guess to try and reduce backlash.

IMG_0091 by jim_mehta, on Flickr

And finally with the scope. The weight of the 127 at 10kg is I think at the upper limit (although the blurb states 20kg!), I might need to downsize to a smaller scope if it proves unstable. We shall see.

IMG_0086 by jim_mehta, on Flickr

The handcontroller is really nice to use, solid with firm keys and a large display with all the info you need. I found the software really easy to use (even when cold and drunk!).

IMG_0089 by jim_mehta, on Flickr

Overall this appears a nicely made and well machined piece of kit.  Now I just need a clear evening.

Anyone want to buy a Vixen Sphinx? One careful owner......

Sergio

Hi Jim,

very nice mount.

I might be interested in your Vixen Sphinx mount I am new in astronomy and looking to get my first scope and mount. Initially probably for visual but with the aim to go for a bit of AP at some point. So the mount it is very important I have been told. I haven't read much about this mount but I was recommended a HEQ5, is this one similar?

thx
S.

Jim

Hi Sergio

I'd go for a HEQ5, lots of people have them and get great pictures using them.

Carole

Looks a very good design Jim, I like the way the mount is screwed from the top and the alt adjustment seems a better design than the NEQ6.

No excuses now for not imaging  :cheesy:

Sergio, I agree with Jim, or if you think you might want a heavy scope, an NEQ6.

Carole

RobertM

Looks very nice Jim.  Is that the version with the Renshaw encoders ?

PS.  Hope Mel doesn't look at the floor too often  :-?

Addendum: Quite frankly it can P*** down in March (especially the middle) - I don't really care.  I'll be on La Palma for part of it so I'm hoping your sphere if influence doesn't extend that far.

Jim

Yes I had to rub that out! No this is the standard one without the encoder. Apparently you can get something called TDM as an addon to improve the PEC

Sergio

thx for the advise Jim, Carole,

I will continue my search for a good 2nd hand HEQ5
S.

Mike

Looks great Jim. I have often considered this mount myself after seeing them in action at Kelling last year. I'd be really interested to see how you get on with it and how it compares to the Skywatchers mounts.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

well done Jim, hope your problems will now be sorted!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Whitters

:brolly: :brolly:
Someone needs to buy a garden hose and sprinkler system, a pair of ten thousand litre rain butts, and everyone in the society to join the cloud appreciation society to dispell that nice pice of kit.

Looks good seen great reviews, looking forward to some images :D

PhilB

Very nice, Jim. I have an ioptron mini tower alt/az which I believe uses the same computer system. This does occasionally have a little trouble finding the GPS signal but is straight forward to use even if the hand display is some what bright. Looks like a lovely mount, I think you're going to enjoy it.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

JohnP

Excellent Jim - Looks great - Will really look forward to the results you can get with this.... Nice one - John.

PS - How many images did you finish up getting down in France...

MarkS

Looks the business Jim!  I've no doubt you'll be successfully imaging now.

I'd love to know the Periodic Error - I haven't seen it quoted anywhere.

Mark