• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Access to High Elms in the evening

Started by Kenny, Feb 25, 2012, 17:31:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

Hi,

Do you know whether there is public access to High Elms in the evenings to do last minute astronomy if it turn out to be a clear night, or do events require advance permission? How do OAS get access?

I've investigated using Jubilee Park near me in Petts Wood as there are no direct lights but the sodium glow 30+ degrees above the horizon is terrible.

Regards
Kenny

Rick

The observing officer holds a key for the barrier, and I think we clear dates with the High Elms staff too...

Kenny

Ok. So no last minute decisions to pop out there... on nights like tonight.

Carole

I guess you could speak to the High Elms people on behalf of the Scouts and see what they say.

Carole

Kenny

Yes, I could lie ;). I'm taking the Scouts to Jubliee Park as it's 10 minutes walk for them. High Elms was for me to make a last minute decision to pop out with my son.

Carole

There are often members of the public wandering around when we are there on official observing evenings, I don't think this is because we have the gate unlocked as I think you can walk in but you might not be able to park if you go in on your own as the car park is normally locked and because we have an arrangement our observing officer holds a key.

I guess talking to them will solve the issue. 

Carole

mickw

The gates that get locked are to prevent vehicles getting in not pedestrians.
There is also a security patrol that drives around locking/checking all car parks in the area - they do not liaise with BEECHE.

I suspect that BEECHE would not be interested in catering for an individual wishing to use the car park after closing time.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional