• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Free Dobsonian

Started by Carole, Feb 25, 2012, 08:20:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I got this message while I was in Iceland from some-one on UKAI.

Was thinking about getting a dob myself but really don't think I have the space either in the house or the car when going to DSC, so would this interest any-one?  I'd have to reply via my own mailbox in UKAI if any-one is interested.  Will also forward to Delphine so she can circulate to those who don't use the forum. Or Ian/Ken, would the society be interested for it's own equipment?

Hello Carole.

I sold a telescope to my friend in the Orpington area in 2006 and he has informed me it has been damaged in the recent bad weather. It is a 9" dobsonian with a good thick english mirror and secondary. The main mirror needs resilvering but he has offered it free back to me or to anyone else.
Can you find a home for it? It will cost £25 for resilvering but it will provide a good starting point for someone that can get to Basildon and back to Galvoptics to have it silvered and to Orpington to collect the parts.

Kind regards,

Mike MS.

I did ask about the damage and this was his reply:
It just needs to be resilvered. I think it is well worth the punt for £25 for the resilvering. I would do it myself if I was in the UK.

Les R

Hi Carole

I appreciate you probably want to punt this to members first, but if no one is interested, I'd be happy to take a punt with it! Its a small amount to gamble with!

I almost bought an LX90 today from ebay! It was a little more expensive.... and a whole lot more than I really wanted to pay! lol

I am Orpington based...... and joined the forum earlier this evening, though not for this! (I'm just browsing at the moment!)

No problems if its not meant to be!

Cheers

mickw

Les, you won't want a dob for imaging although it would be good for visual on the planets.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Les R

Quote from: mickw on Feb 27, 2012, 21:58:52
Les, you won't want a dob for imaging although it would be good for visual on the planets.

Hi Carole

Anything would be better than nothing at the mo! You're right though that imaging is what I'd like to do eventually.

But fair enough if your advising its not a good move.

Ian

Hi Les,

there's nothing wrong with a dob to start with, but it's a bit of a commitment learning how to use it. Not only that, with this one, you've got to rebuild it too.

If the temptation's too great, go for it. I'm sure we can help you get something out of it 9" is plenty to start with for visual stuff, but there will be no computer control so you'll have find your own targets and then keep moving the scope by hand to keep it in view...

Rocket Pooch

If anyone want me to re-build the thing I'll do it, I have just completed my 1st project always looking for another...

Then maybe we can put it into the society kit list.  Providing its not F8 or something daft like that.

Rick

The trick with scopes is to buy something good enough, but not so big that it's too much effort to use...

Exhibit A: The 12" dobsonian the Society bought a few years back. Nice scope for using to show folks the stars. Just too big to easily heave from one place to another and set up.  :twisted:

Carole

It appears after all that it is not the whole Dob as this is a subsequent message I have received, so looks like the tube and base is required.  Sorry, he wasn't clear in the first message.  So let me know if you're still interested and I'll put you in touch.

Carole.

I will await your reply. Please be aware it is just the mirror, mirror cell, spider and secondary. The focuser may be there but not the tube or base unit. As it is a real mirror and not a recent chinese version it is worth the trouble of £25 for resilvering, and a drive to Basidon twice (where Galvoptics are).

Kind regards,

Mike.

Rocket Pooch

Well I'm still up for re-building it,

Tony G

Quote from: Rick on Feb 28, 2012, 08:52:19
Exhibit A: The 12" dobsonian the Society bought a few years back. Nice scope for using to show folks the stars. Just too big to easily heave from one place to another and set up.  :twisted:

Well I hope Mick never gets to read this, as he has just had to transport this down to KENT!!!!!!! ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rick

Mick's got a big enough truck to move the thing in and still have room for something else...

...like the driver. ;)

Carole

OK Chris,

I think I've found his E mail address, I'll PM it to you.

Carole

Rocket Pooch

Les R

Having owned an 8" Newtonian many moons ago, being unable to use it was probably the reason I took anything further! (It really did take me almost an hour to find the moon - honest!)  :P

If I'm honest, I was just thinking "ooh a cheap telescope I would be able to use" (since I dont have one), but if its going to be something I'm going to struggle to use, then its probably not a good idea!

But if thats not the gist? (Would it still be good for moon and planet images?)

Carole

Hi Les,

I was thinking, Newbie and having to re-build the thing, that it was probably not for you.

Chris if you don't go ahead with this and Les is still keen, perhaps you can let him know.

Carole