• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Is this Narrowband filter any good?

Started by Carole, Feb 12, 2012, 12:47:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I have a narrowband filter which I bought a long time ago for Light pollution and not really used it much since I was a beginner and was originally sold it for observing in LP areas. 

Before I put it up for sale, I thought I'd run it past you. 

It's an ultrablock Narrowband LP filter 1.25"

According to the graph it lets light through at roughly between 475 and 500 nm and is labelled on the graph  Hydrogen beta and Oxygen 111, although the box doesn't mention this.  Says it lets light through best on emission nebulas such as Orion and Trifid nebulas, lagoon and Dumbbell, not so good on galaxies and stars.  Then at the end says not generally recommended for Photography, but imaging has moved on a bit since I bought it (it's been in it's pot for about 5 years).

I'm starting at the beginning with NB filters, it's just I don't want to go out and buy a set and then find I have one of the filters I need already in the cupboard.

Will I have a use for it?

Carole

RobertM

Like most 'nebula' filters I think it's likely it does not block IR very well (if at all).  That isn't a problem for visual but can cause problems with star bloat when used with refractors and CCD's.  I would try it out so you can get used to the camera before you splash out on a filter wheel and NB filters.

Robert

Carole