• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Beware phishing phone calls

Started by Delphine, Jan 03, 2012, 15:20:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Delphine

2012 is not a good year for me.  I have been on helplines from PCWorld and BT internet etc. over the last few days but now have more or less got everything normal on new computer again.  IE finally working etc.  At least I thought so.

Then I got a phone call from someone saying that they were from Windows and that my computer was infected by a worm.  I almost believed him because I have been on help lines a lot.  He wanted me to connect to the internet for him so that he could look at my computer and I refused and put the phone down.  I still don't know if he was genuine or not but am not taking chances.   What a nightmare!!!  IE and Firefox are now giving me messages now about connection not being trusted. 

I am now back to my old computer - I daren't use the new one.  I hope PC World will take it back!

Delphine

JohnP

QuoteHe wanted me to connect to the internet for him so that he could look at my computer and I refused and put the phone down

I would say you definitely did the right thing... I would never let anyone remotely access my PC.

PhilB

It was a con. Microsoft don't cold call. You did the right thing.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Mac

i normally keep them online as long as possible,

The best one, even accused me of winding him up with the phone call, untill i pointed out he rang me.

Mac.

PhilB

"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Delphine

Thanks Phil and John  - I am glad you have told me that Windows don't cold call.  I will know in future.  Thank goodness I put the phone down.

Cheers
Delphine