• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Can't access internet

Started by Delphine, Dec 30, 2011, 10:51:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Delphine

Hi

I keep getting Revocation information for the security certificate for this site is not available.  Do you want to proceed?

There are two reasons I can think of for this. 
either:

1.  I connected Ian's new laptop to the BT home hub yesterday.

2.  I clicked onto a Poirot game out of curiosity and it started to access the internet.  I then chose to block it.

Now I can't access my BTYahoo home page It says the security certificate is invalid.

I suspect Poirot.

Please can someone give me some advice.  I tried ringing BT helpline just now but a far away voice said that they couldn't hear me!!

I am tearing my hair out.

Cheers
Delphine

mickw

I think you need a good detective, can't think of one at the moment  :-?

Sorry  :lol:

Did you connect Ian's laptop using your password or did you create a new one for him ?

Can you access your home page from Ian's laptop using your password etc. - If he also has a BT Yahoo homepage, "sign out" then try to get in with your email/password.

Try typing
home.bt.yahoo.com
This should take you to the login page

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Delphine

still haveing hassles.  Have restored factory setrtings on my computer.  Have reset hub.  Have spoken to BT helplines in India.  Have spoken to PC world helplines.  Don't know what to do next. 

Delphine

Well that was a surprise I didn't expect my message to appear!!! - I came in via google so can't access my emails. 

mickw

When does the certificate revoked message appear ?
I use a BTYahoo homepage and I don't recall ever needing any certificates

I assume you can connect to the internet but just not you homepage - i.e. when you start your browser, you get the certificate message, you can then go to one of your favourites/bookmarks but not your homepage

Are you using Internet Explorer ?

Have you run any anti virus/malware programs to clean up after Poirot ?
Here's a good free one that does find malware missed by others -
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

Mac

have you checked the date on your pc.

The normal reason for expired certificates is that the PC date is wrong.
Its not that they are expired, it just they think they are because of the date.

Mac.

Delphine

Hello again

It is working at last!!

The problem was that I could get into the internet but not via internet explorer and I couldn't download or put messages on forums etc.  It was also extremely slow.  

Yesterday I phoned the BT helpline again and they managed to tweak it enough so that I could at least download but still couldn't use IE or get into my emails.  At least I managed to download Firefox and now I am using that. 

Mick - the Revoked message appeared as soon as I clicked onto Internet Explorer and yes I could get into favourites but blank.  But  I could add to them.  

many thanks for the Malawarebytes link I will use it.

Mac - yes the date was correct

I think the problem must have been to do with Internet Explorer blocking me because of the Poirot program.  

cheers and thanks
Delphine

mickw

That's good.

As it's not working anyway, you could uninstall Internet Explorer via the add/remove programs in Control Panel.
After rebooting, either reinstall it (as above) or download and install IE again using Firefox

Mick

Delphine

Hi Mick

I have looked in add/remove programmes and it isn't there!!!!  I wonder if that has been teh trouble all along.  I will download it again as you suggest.

Cheers
Delphine

PS I can't beleive it - I have just taken my original PC back to its factory settings.  I pressed F11.  Thought I had nothing to lose as I couldn't get past black screen.  It is working like a dream now.  I am on it at the moment!!!!!!  Now I have 2 PC's but one monitor!!

mickw

Oops  :oops:
I should have said to delete IE from the "Windows Components" of add/remove.

That's good you've got stuff working again, is this the machine where IE wasn't behaving ?

Rocket Pooch

Delphine

Quote from: mickw on Jan 02, 2012, 16:16:59
Oops  :oops:
I should have said to delete IE from the "Windows Components" of add/remove.

That's good you've got stuff working again, is this the machine where IE wasn't behaving ?

No it is the old machine that I restored to factory settings!!  Wish I had known how to do that before I bought a new one.  Now I have got to try and persuade PC World to fix the new one back or take it back.  It is only 4 weeks old and still under guarantee.
However the new one does work with Firefox so not a problem [apart from the waste of money] if I have to keep it as it is.

Delphine

Hi

I have taken my new computer to PC World and the person I spoke to listened to everything I told him thank goodness.  He agreed that I most likely had a virus that gets past and escapes the attention of anti-virus programmes.   He said that just taking it back to factory settings is sometimes not enough.  He also said that the phone call from Windows was certainly fake and that it would be the same people who infected my computer in the first place.  He is going to clean the computer completely and reinstall windows so at least it is getting fixed now.  Luckily I took out a maintenance contract with them so it won't cost me anything.    I am still worried though because the crooks have my telephone no. and goodness knows what other information.  What a nightmare!! 

Delphine

Carole

Lucky you had the sense to put the phone down Delphine.  What a nightmare, there are so many scams going on nowdays. 

What will you do once it's fixed as you now have two laptops?

Carole

Delphine

Hi Carole

I have two PC's because I managad to resurrect my old one.  I am going to keep them both for the moment and possibly when things settle down and I get my breath back I may give the older one to my son.

Today I got my new PC computer back from PC World who wiped it clean and everything seems OK.  but I am very paarnoid now!

We do have two laptops as well.  A brand new one for Ian and my old one which only has a 16 GB hard drive and is totally useless now.  There is only 5GB space left on it and is excruciatingly slow.

Delphine