• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

The Rudolph Nebula

Started by MarkS, Dec 20, 2011, 19:25:21

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Taken Sunday night (18 Dec) - a fantastic dark night - after midnight I recorded SQM-L readings of 20.99 (converts to a naked eye limiting mag of 6.1),  the highest I've yet recorded at either High Halden or Rother Valley.

60 x 5min at ISO 800 + 8 x 2.5min at ISO 400 then the clouds rolled in before I could do the shorter exposures.

Usual set-up:  H-alpha modified Canon 350D on Tak Epsilon 180ED with CLS filter.  For the first time I also used a dew shield on the Tak.  Temperatures dropped to -4.5C and there was thick frost on everything.

Larger version here:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/webdisk/rudolph.jpg

Mark

P.S. The usual processing sequence was followed by a very special operation in Photoshop  ;)

Mac

Carole

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But wonderful image Mark.

Carole

RobertM

Wonderful - I've never seen such detail ;)

Tony G

Lovely image Mark, and you can nearly see the velvet on the antlers.

Anyway I believe they have renamed the Wizard Nebula.  ;)

:lol:
Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

Beautiful Mark, it was indeed a lovely night.............I SHOULD HAVE STAYED UP LATER!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Just for interest, and for comparison with other recent H-alpha images and because Tony prefers monochrome images, here is the red channel only:

Larger version:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/webdisk/rudolph_red.jpg

Mark

Tony G

Thanks Mark  :D

Love the diffraction spike on Alnitak. ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

I've only just opened the full size version and seen the nose  :lol:

Also noticed a great amount of detail in the dark nebula, particular lower right.

Carole

Rocket Pooch

Very nice Mark, lovely colour.