• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Computer bust

Started by Delphine, Dec 09, 2011, 09:29:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Delphine

Just to let you know that my computer fatally crashed while I was out yesterday.  Sorry if I haven't replied to emails.  I am struggling to send this message.  Will be buying new computer today and hopefully be back on line again.  Carole - this happened before I could email Toast.  Hope to email Toast later today.

Sorry if this message is in wrong place. 

Cheers
Delphine

Carole

Oh Delphine, didn't you have the same problem about a year ago, I thought you bought a new computer then, or did you managed to fix the old one before buying another?

E Mail Toast does not need to go out until around 22nd December.
If you need me to send it again just let me know.

Carole

Mike

What was the cause of the crash Delphine? Buying a whole new PC because one part has failed sounds a little drastic.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

Quote from: Carole on Dec 09, 2011, 09:38:48E Mail Toast does not need to go out until around 22nd December.

Wouldn't it normally go out on the date of the Xmas meeting (which is on 15th December this year)?

Delphine

Whew - I am back again having bought a whole new computer.  Yes Mike it does sound drastic but the other one was three years old and had been giving trouble on and off for the last two years.  I eventually ran out of patience.   I had it fixed a year ago but it has never been perfect.

We need two computers anyway because Ian is on it a lot.  So I might get the old one fixed as I am sure it is a software problem. I get a blue screen saying there is a problem detected and tells me to check software etc. but I can't because it freezes the mouse.  It also tells me to press F8 but that doesn't work either.

In the meantime Ian is going to use my old laptop and see if that is sufficient for him to do his web surfing and photographs.

This new one is a dream.  It is Windows 7.  It is not fighting with anything - printer, internet etc up and running very quickly. 

Cheers
Delphine

Carole

QuoteWouldn't it normally go out on the date of the Xmas meeting (which is on 15th December this year)?
Correct, was looking at the OAS calendar which had the wrong date on it. 
I was E mailing it to Delphine early so she could get it photocopied and into the post early because of the Xmas postal rush. 

It will appear on the Forum in about a week's time.

Carole