• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Bilbo Baggins - There, to the Somme, & Back Again!!!

Started by Fay, Oct 31, 2011, 14:05:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Oh thanks Robert, I had a few hairy moments, which I sweat about. I am lucky to get home ok, I think it was quite foolhardy of me to do it!!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

QuoteI think it was quite foolhardy of me to do it

Don't be daft, everything else now will be a piece of cake  :D
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

JohnP

QuoteI had a few hairy moments
... did you forget to shave again Fay..... must havbe been the stress of driving up there... :-)

... Seriously though joking aside - well done & glad you are back safely all in one bit....

Fay

Oh thank you, appreciated.....................

Sue

I am full of admiration for you Fay, quite an adventure! Glad there was a sociable crowd up there and the driving worked out ok. Very interested to hear what Keilder was like, don't think we will be venturing further than Kelling with our tent. Look forward to seeing any pictures.

Fay

Thank you Sue. I did a couple of pictures, nothing too exciting, but will put them on

Fay

Nice mossy tree over the river which  was behind my tent

Early morning east in bottom field

Early morning top field

Kielder Observatory

Kielder Reservoir

View from my tent, not all campers had arrived then

Bridge from top field into bottom field

Mike

That's the exact same camp site I stayed in 2 years ago. Although you had better weather as it was cloudy the entire week for me. Even the visit to the Kielder Observatory was in peas soup fog.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Mac

QuoteThe spring weather is supposed to be very severe.

Winter's up there are very severe. Compared to dawn here.

I've been cut off by the snow many a time,

Mac.

Carole

Sounds like you had a great time Fay, it's always the cameraderie that makes it such fun at Star Parties etc.  You say you had not booked hook up but managed to get it at the last minute, have you now got yourself set up with an independent power source?

Sure looks some beautiful scenery up there, maybe one day.... but I think it will have to be part of a holiday.

You can read my wet adventures at Salisbury.

Carole

Fay

No I booked at the last minute as a hookup became available

Delphine

Glad got back safely Fay.  Sounds as if you had a really interesting time while you were there.  Scenery beautiful also.

Delphine

Carole

Love the photo of the tree and also the surrounding area.

Carole

Sue

Pleased to see your pictures, just beautiful area. Agree with Carole the picture of the tree by the river is stunning. It does look rather Shireish and then the misty mountains beyond .......