• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

UFO?

Started by david kiely, Oct 04, 2011, 18:25:40

Previous topic - Next topic

david kiely

I am working in Germany at the moment and last night, 3rd Oct, I went out to get some tucker. As I always do, I looked up to  the sky and a perfectly clear night sky, around 20.30 hrs, 19.30 your time, I noticed, what I thought, was a satellite, near Cassiopeia, but it became very bright  and then disappeared. Was the space station around at approx this time? If anyone knows what it was could you please tell. Regards David

Carole

Something that matches that description sounds like an Iridium flare, which is a satellite that has solar panels which temporarily catches the light of the sun.  I think there is a website somewhere where you can find out when these are due, but not sure if it records past occurences.  

http://www.heavens-above.com/iridiumhelp.asp

Carole  

david kiely

Thanks Carole, seems like the most logical explanation, thanks v much.

AlanE

Hi.

The WebSite you want, for passes of Iridium Flares, ISS and other Satellites, is:  www.heavens-above.com

You can log-on, punching-in your Lat(s) and Long(S), for viewing from up to 5(?) locations you regularly visit

All the best

New Member AlanE (Chislehurst)

Mike

If you have either an iPhone or an Android phone then there are nice apps that will alert you to passes also.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Quote from: AlanE
You can log-on, punching-in your Lat(s) and Long(S), for viewing from up to 5(?) locations you regularly visit

I'm already up to 9 stored locations!

Mark

Tony G

Does Heavens-Above have the facility to go back and look at previous days satellite passes?

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

Yes, select the SELECT OBSERVATIONS button and enter the date range.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan