• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Broken W7

Started by mickw, Oct 03, 2011, 16:27:20

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Managed to bugger up something else  :!

After updating the video driver on the new laotop, all sorts of stuff has been going weird and/or crashing including internet access via Chrome, uninstalled Chrome, now IE won't work, reinstalled IE, still no joy and no way to access internet to install anything else  :(

Managed to restore the original driver and all seemed well, except internet, then tried the Samsung Recovery thing, but it can't find the original settings or any backups.  It seems that you have to actually do a backup before you can restore it and playing around with the partitions (particularly the Restore Partition) is also a bad thing.  Turning off System Restore also seems a bad idea.  :oops:

So, I either need to buy a full version of W7 or...................................
Has anyone got a W7 Home Premium disk I could borrow ?  I have got the original Key.
Assuming all disks are the same and the Key is what counts

Thanks

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

If I had a choice, I would stick XP on it.
I wouldn't worry about windows 7.

If you did manage to get hold of a disk you could always upgrade it later.

Mac

mickw

Stoppit  :P

XP is not a happy bunny with the 21st century hardware that's installed, so I have to stick with W7 or "W8"  :o

Mac

so what have you got that is not compatable with xp then?

Mac

Rocket Pooch

Mick,

Install DOS and forget about progress.

Chris

Fay

Just to say. Google had a problem yesterday, did not work for a couple of hours
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Mac - Wireless, Bluetooth and USB were dodgy under XP

Chris - But DOS is not very pretty

Fay - I did think that initially but then IE refused to work.

But, I actually found a backup set (I must be smarter than I think) and have reinstalled W7
Unfortunately I didn't save my emails so have got to go hunting for all my passwords and "keys" for software.

All I've got to do now, is install all the software again, then test it with the astro kit, the do a bloody backup when everything is working

Fay

and good luck to you     :squirrel:
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Yay  :D

All installed, tested and backed up  :)

Starry Night was being a git though, took about 5 installs and an email to support.
Under W7, SN needs to be installed "as administrator"

Then I fell into the Quicktime update trap, v.7_ makes Messier objects disappear (as Fay found out last year) so had to remove 7 then find and install 6.3

Not bad, only took a week  :! :! :! :!

JohnP

mick - I'm curious In the last year how many win 7/ xp installs do you thionk you have done??????

mickw

Quotehow many win 7/ xp installs do you thionk you have done??????

:oops:
Several - it's usually to repair something I've improved  :(  :oops:

Mike

Be warned. There is a limit to the amount of times you can install Windows. Once you've reached it, despite it being a legal copy, you cannot install it again.

That was the very reason I switched to OSX in the first place after having a legit XP disc and being told by Microsoft I could no longer install it and had to buy a new one. I told them to go **** themselves.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

QuoteBe warned. There is a limit to the amount of times you can install Windows. Once you've reached it, despite it being a legal copy, you cannot install it again.

never heard of that one before, an i've installed my xp system at least 30 times on my main desktop pc, and never had any problems.

Mac.

mickw

I've had it happen some time ago after upgrading ram and HD then CPU - I was told by the MS help desk that certain changes to the PC suggest it's being installed on more than one PC hence the lockdown - they unlocked it  8)

PhilB

I'm told that this lockdown doesn't happen if you have an OEM disc, this being designed for installation across a number of machines. Mind you, I had a server come back with "this is an illegal copy of server 2008" a while back and when I tried to resister it the online system rejected the key even though I'd never used it before :o
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein