• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Heads up Star Party April 2012

Started by Carole, Sep 22, 2011, 09:34:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

This is the first time that this event has ever been held. It's being orgainised by Astronomy 4 everyone and Disciples of the Dark Arts at Norwood Farm Caravan & Camping Park, Norwood Farm, Newchurch, Romney Marsh, Kent, TN29 0DU.

Its the same weekend as Kelling next year in April, we had a lot of people who didn't want the long travel to Norfolk from the South so we decided to give people the choice.

There are 25 powered pitchs and 25 non powered, this is a great dark site with a 360 degree unobstructed view.

you can make on line bookings and read the conditions and pricing HERE:-

http://dymchurchstarparty.webs.com/

I'm thinking of going to this instead of Kelling, might also be a good to suss out for a future OAS DSC site.

Thought I'd let you know in case you want to try it out.  I would certainly prefer the shorter journey to that of Kelling.

Carole

mickw

I believe Mark and Chris have been there a few times.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

I went there once - never again.  The sky is dark (very similar to Rother Valley) but when I went there the toilet block had very bright exterior lights and there were lit bollards next to the roadways.  Luckily I had a wind breaker which provided at least some shielding agianst the direct lights and I was as far from the toilet block as it was possible to be:

The lights on the left of the picture are due to the toilet block - the others are the bollards.

If the whole site is being used for a star party then I guess they would probably turn the lights out.  But if the general public are there then I guess not.  

The draw of Kelling Heath is that it is noticeably darker than either Rother Valley or Norwood Farm.

Mark

Rick

Hmmm... If they're flogging the weekend as a Star Party then they'll either have to do something about the lights or...  :abducted:

Carole

I think the main weekend has been reserved for Astronomy only with the same rules as Kelling.  Oh well, not a possible future DSC venue then.

Carole

Les

Booked a berth yesterday. Looking forward to the experience.  8)

Carole

Have you managed to sort out some transport then Les?

Make sure you read up on the rules on lighting.

Carole