• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Velcro & Flat Tyres

Started by Rocket Pooch, Jun 29, 2004, 18:22:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Just thought I'd share this technical experience.

Last night I was doing a quick session with ye old telescope between the clouds.  I decided not to collimate the LX90 but just got stuck into some visual stuff.  M57 check, M27 excellent, m13 wow.

So In I trot to get the SAC8, set it up, took some images through the refractor, Moon wee, then M13 with a 2x Barlow.

So, I thought, what the hell its only 11pm, I put the focal reducer on, whacked the telescope on vega and focused.  

Strange, the rings looked like they have a flat tyre.  Take out SAC8, look down the hole, looks fine.  Focus in out, shake it all about and nope, still looks like a flat tyre, at this point I thought sod it, I just got the focus as good as I could and took a set of M57 wide field images (not as good as Paul's but he).

So then the clouds came in and I packed up.

It was at this point I noticed the glue holding the Velcro on the dew shield had come loose and the thing had changed shape.

Cunningly the dew shield had changed it shape to a flat tyre.  Hmm.

I can only congratulate BC&F on the quality of the glue they use on their flexible dew shield.

Going out to by some glue today and a new bungee for the dew shield.

Rick

One of the small stands at the BAA exhibition meeting last Saturday was a collection of bits helpfully labelled "Blue Peer Astronomy". It included several cardboard and Baader foil solar filters and a dew shield made out of a karri-mat. :wink:

Mike

I added extra strips of Velcro on the ETX dew shield as the original ones were crap. I used standard stickybacked black Velcro. Stays on fine now and holds it's shape. It is a lot smaller then the LX90 one though.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

So where's the images then Chris? John

Rocket Pooch

Whitters

Yeah Chris where's the images, Gimmie image gimmie image.