• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M33 from DSC

Started by RobertM, Aug 09, 2011, 23:10:50

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Sorry a bit late getting around to processing these DSC images...

This one you know well.

2 x 300s Canon 1000D ISO 400 800 IDAS LPS filter and C11 Hyperstar

Larger size:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6066/6026712987_d15cdd8902_o.jpg

Mac

PhilB

"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

JohnP

A promising start - why so few subs? Did it cloud over or were there other issues.  John

RobertM

John,

I had guiding issues due to cables being too tight which I only noticed late so didn't get too much time in the end.  I also spent an hour or so showing members of the public various objects such as the Gamma Cygnus nebula/Iris/M33/M31/Witches Broom and assorted Messiers etc.  People are amazed you can actually see these things appear on the screen and witness them being captured.

In the end I just hopped around a few things trying different length subs till I got too tired.

Robert

JohnP

ah... I understand - the dreaded 'cable spaghetti syndrome'... :-(

That's one of the big disadvantages of a public campsite - the public - I personally don't mind showing them the kit in the daylight but when it's one of those rare ocassions when it's a clear night I rather be imaging then giving sky tours... TBH that's one of the reason I preferred the likes of Penny's field & Tuesnoad (despite the mud/ shit drawbacks) - plus of course you can have fun in the day shooting arrows & blowing things up....  ;)

Full marks to you anyway for your public patience.

John.

RobertM

yep, cable spaghetti strikes again...

I was lucky as I had some people that were genuinely interested and asked reasonable questions so it was a pleasure showing them.  Could have done it for longer really but it was getting well past their bed time.

Robert
PS. Should have the cable issues resolved for next time - extra bungie chord ;)

mickw

Very nice detail in there Robert, especially for 2 subs. really nice

Bit of a bugger getting a sat trail in one of them  :(
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

Not attempted this one yet, but I would guess this is really good for only 2 x 300s and assume this is down to the hyperstar.  Certainly looks good, shame you couldn't have got more. 

QuoteI was lucky as I had some people that were genuinely interested and asked reasonable questions so it was a pleasure showing them.
That's nice of you Robert, it is rewarding to be able to do this sort of thing if you get good feedback. 

Carole

mickw

Quoteit is rewarding to be able to do this sort of thing if you get good feedback.

Woohoo, Carole is now the official sacrificial astronomer at all DSCs   :)

Carole

QuoteWoohoo, Carole is now the official sacrificial astronomer at all DSCs
Oh gawd, me and my big mouth!! :!

RobertM

Quote from: Carole on Aug 10, 2011, 22:48:45
QuoteWoohoo, Carole is now the official sacrificial astronomer at all DSCs
Oh gawd, me and my big mouth!! :!

That's very generous of you Carole, I'll point them in your direction in future ;)

Carole

QuoteThat's very generous of you Carole, I'll point them in your direction in future
You said
Quoteit was a pleasure showing them

Seriously though, I honestly don't mind showing the public astronomical things, but I suppose it depends how much of a nuisance it becomes and whether it holds you up.  Perhaps we should have a separate scope set up for this purpose so it doesn't interfere with imaging.  I know this is not a "public event" but is it not a good thing to introduce members of the public to Astronomy and give them something exciting to fire up their enthusiasm. 

Any thoughts on this?
Maybe we should start a new thread.

Carole

mickw

Members of the public are usually pleasant and sensible and do not "get in the way" although there have been exceptions.
Many are happy to just watch what we are doing and ask occasional questions, they also get bored waiting for a 5 minute sub to materialise on the laptop and wander off.
If we were to take an additional setup, this could attract more interest and there would be more people walking in front of scopes and tripping over leads.

Being selfish, we spend each month watching the weather in the hope of getting a couple of nights with clear skies to do some imaging at a dark site away from the city.
Who would supply/bring the extra scope and who would supervise it's use and answer the questions.

I think we should continue the way we are at present.

Especially as we now have a sacrificial astronomer  :twisted:

Carole

QuoteWho would supply/bring the extra scope and who would supervise it's use and answer the questions.

I was thinking the observing Officer could supply it and we could all take turns in "manning it" when we are free. :cheesy: