• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

August DSC

Started by mickw, Jul 27, 2011, 13:51:31

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

According to Jackie at RV, only me and Fay are going which means we have  2 pitches  :o

If you intend going.....................

BOOK UP, even a phone call would help

It is the school holidays and the weather is looking OK (not necessarily astronomically OK) - people are making bookings
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

Just got back from holiday today, unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to get myself organised for this one, it's been a hectic two weeks and am looking forward to a few days rest. 

Carole

Mike

I'm booked.

Saturday night is looking quite promising at the moment.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Arrived around 11 last night, fairly clear at zenith but North was a mess.
Very dewy and misty - mist even hid the trees by the entrance at one stage.

Fay quit about 1:00, I didn't set up so went to bed  :)

MarkS

I arrived home at 11:45pm last night and there was indeed a lot of low level murk.  But above the murk the Milky Way was looking reasonably good stretching across the sky.

Mark

MarkS

I'll drink a Pastis tonight and think of you folk at DSC!!

Mark

mickw

I think all we'll be doing tonight is drinking  :D :( :D :(

Cloudy with clouds later

MarkS

I'll be forced to count glow worms ...

MarkS

Sunday night was 19

Record (last new moon) was 30

mickw

The reason the numbers are falling is that they kept trying to mate with all the LEDs and Lasers  :lol:

Mike

Last night by 11pm it was still cloudy so the three of us (Mick, Fay and I) went to bed. However, I woke up at about 3am as I needed a pee and it was freezing cold. I guess right away the sky was clear and indeed when I stepped outside it was perfectly clear with a very bright Jupiter over the trees.

Tonight's forecast is looking really good at the moment so those of you that are coming down today should have a good imaging night.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

The Thing

Damnation, I knew I should have come down for the one night. I spent Friday afternoon setting up my optical train for imaging Jupiter,

mickw

You have a train ? :o

We have one at RV - a proper one  :lol:

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: Mike on Jul 30, 2011, 10:47:51
Last night by 11pm it was still cloudy so the three of us (Mick, Fay and I) went to bed.

Blimey what you three up to!

MarkS

Agreed.  I don't think a train is a stable enough platform for planetary imaging.

Mark