• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

"Micks Knobs" for HEQ5 Pro

Started by mickw, May 10, 2011, 15:00:39

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Knobs arrived, the levers are sold as singles, knobs in packs of 2

The levers are plastic but seem strong enough, the ratchet bit is also plastic with spacing of 1.5mm so should be good surface contact.

I got enough for 2 sets and with postage £24 - a half price bargain - if they don't fall apart  8)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

mickw

OK
These are not the best solution.

The hub of the lever jobby is a bit on the long side so at 51 North, it clonks on the polar scope dome/cover - I have the tools so have trimmed 5mm off the length which gives adequate clearance with 15mm cut off the thread.
If I ever go to 61 North, the tripod will have to go on a brick.

If you decide to go another "non Bob" route, just be aware of the height of the knob

Mac

I thought the knobs were on a ratchet?

mickw

Not so much a ratchet, there are teeth on on the core and case/handle of the knob.  A spring mates the the teeth and you pull it in line with the shaft/thread to disengage the teeth and you can turn the handle without turning the thread.

Problem is the length of the handle (in line with the thread) makes the whole bolt + handle too long without chopping a bit off

The Thing

Does anyone know what size the tripod leg locking bolts are? One of mine has a cracked knob and the plastic of all looks a bit iffy. I have googled it but can find nothing except alt/az bolts referred to.

mickw

JohnP

Mick - how you getting on with your knob....?

mickw

My knob is fine although it doesn't like the dark  :(

The Thing

Carole