• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

"Micks Knobs" for HEQ5 Pro

Started by mickw, May 10, 2011, 15:00:39

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

While trying to find Bobs Knobs for the mount I found these
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-locking-handles-prod22463/

The female M10 could be used with the existing EQ bolts sawn off and fixed into the thread

At £6 each plus £5 postage thought it was a bargain - especially if anyone else wants some
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Yes a good find.  
That ratcheted handle plus the knobs here http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-pair-of-threaded-knobs--packs-2-prod22464/   are remarkably similar to the conversion kit I bought for my EQ6, from a stall at Kelling Heath.

Plus you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself.  

Mark

RobertM

What a great find !

The only thing is that they're plastic but maybe that's a good thing.

Here are some metal alternatives: http://www.peterchild.co.uk/hardware/ratchet.htm

The Axminster versions may be good enough but the web site above can supply different length screw threads.

Robert

mickw

Robert, have you used them ?  Do they charge more for the threaded rod ?

They are a bit cheaper than Axminster also.

RobertM

No haven't used them.  I just googled and found them recommended by another site.

mickw

The Axminster ones look like they could be metal (cast zinc usually) like they use on their machinery - time for an email I think - I'll ring the techs tomorrow

mickw

If I'd bothered to read the ad properly I would have seen they were plastic :oops:

They're cheap enough in packs of 2 to give them a try so I'll order a couple

Carole

The real thing (made of stronger metal) are only £25 from Modern Astronomy.
They work very well too, much easier to turn than the originals. 

Carole

mickw

I saw those, but can't come to terms with paying £25 for 2 bolts  :o

Carole

Quotecan't come to terms with paying £25 for 2 bolts
Yes I see your point Mick, but from what I've been told it will cost a lot more than the pain of £25 in DIY to try to extract bent or broken ones, which was why I decided to buy them.

Carole

mickw

Agreed but if you are tightening the bolts enough to bend or break them, you are doing them up too tight - they hold engines in cars with 10mm bolts and don't bend them

MarkS

Quote from: mickw
Agreed but if you are tightening the bolts enough to bend or break them, you are doing them up too tight - they hold engines in cars with 10mm bolts and don't bend them

One of the 2 standard alt adjustment bolts is very long and very weak - it bends even at the very mention of Uri Geller and it would run a mile from any car engine.  That's also why I replaced mine.

mickw

I'm surprised at that, perhaps that's why they only put that crappy flap thing on the end.

Anyway I've ordered the bits, should arrive tomorrow - I'll sort out some better 10mm thread in the meantime.

Mac

QuoteAgreed but if you are tightening the bolts enough to bend or break them, you are doing them up too tight - they hold engines in cars with 10mm bolts and don't bend them

True, but these are just junk.
With one bolt completely removed on the eq6, turning the other one doesnt move the mount, it just binds and bends.
You can still move the mount by hand.

Mac.

mickw

Knobs arrived, the levers are sold as singles, knobs in packs of 2

The levers are plastic but seem strong enough, the ratchet bit is also plastic with spacing of 1.5mm so should be good surface contact.

I got enough for 2 sets and with postage £24 - a half price bargain - if they don't fall apart  8)

mickw

OK
These are not the best solution.

The hub of the lever jobby is a bit on the long side so at 51 North, it clonks on the polar scope dome/cover - I have the tools so have trimmed 5mm off the length which gives adequate clearance with 15mm cut off the thread.
If I ever go to 61 North, the tripod will have to go on a brick.

If you decide to go another "non Bob" route, just be aware of the height of the knob

Mac

I thought the knobs were on a ratchet?

mickw

Not so much a ratchet, there are teeth on on the core and case/handle of the knob.  A spring mates the the teeth and you pull it in line with the shaft/thread to disengage the teeth and you can turn the handle without turning the thread.

Problem is the length of the handle (in line with the thread) makes the whole bolt + handle too long without chopping a bit off

The Thing

Does anyone know what size the tripod leg locking bolts are? One of mine has a cracked knob and the plastic of all looks a bit iffy. I have googled it but can find nothing except alt/az bolts referred to.

mickw

JohnP

Mick - how you getting on with your knob....?

mickw

My knob is fine although it doesn't like the dark  :(

The Thing

Carole