• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Images to test out new Mount

Started by Carole, Apr 17, 2011, 23:24:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

QuoteLet's hope your problems are all over and you can get down to some serious imaging!
That's the plan Mark.

Although I've been imaging for a while now I sure have wasted a lot of time on 2nd hand equipment not performing properly, do you remember several months on that modified webcam that was supposed to work in LX and didn't, and now several months on guiding problems?

A lesson to be learnt there I think.

Carole

Mac

QuoteA lesson to be learnt there I think.

Welcome to the world of astronomy.
:cheesy:

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
A lesson to be learnt there I think.

Caveat emptor.

Carole

Having a sell up to compensate for the purchase of the NEQ6.  
Quotedo you remember several months on that modified webcam that was supposed to work in LX and didn't
sold that as a guidecam yesterday within 1 hour of putting it on UKBuySell.  OK, drop in the ocean compared to the cost of the NEQ6, but will almost pay for the new pier adapter.

Carole

Fay

I don't buy secondhand, for the reason that all this stuff that does not work properly is doing the rounds all the time
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

QuoteI don't buy secondhand
Should have followed your example Fay would have saved myself (and others) a lot of grief.

But the camera above that I sold works OK as a guide camera - just not as sensitive as the QHY5.

Carole

RobertM

Fay, that's the main problem with the second hand market, though not all of it.  You never know the history but it's the nature of the beast.  Unfortunately the prices don't always reflect that.

Carole, yes I certainly agree with you about grief !!!

Robert

Ian

All of my current kit is 2nd hand. Only fault so far - not enough time for me to use it :(

Carole

QuoteAll of my current kit is 2nd hand
But Ian, you are probably able to diagnose and fix it if it's not working as it should, and this is something I can't do.

Carole

Ian

Quote from: Carole on Apr 20, 2011, 16:42:11
QuoteAll of my current kit is 2nd hand
But Ian, you are probably able to diagnose and fix it if it's not working as it should, and this is something I can't do.

Carole

This might be true, but your previous statement missed out that qualification. Caveat emptor as always, but I would maintain most of the stuff on the used market has been looked after and works fine as the majority of the people selling stuff are just the same as us...

Carole

Quotemost of the stuff on the used market has been looked after and works fine
Yes but what I am saying is that older things might need some adjustment just like anything else needs a service now and then, so I think I must buy new in future (at least things like mounts and cameras). 

Carole

JohnP

Quoteolder things might need some adjustment just like anything else needs a service now and then

That's what I keep telling my misses...  ;)

Ian - I agree with you - I like to think that most astro geeks are honest people just like you & I & wouldn't knowlingly try & palm off a dodgy guide camera or mount.... I will always try & buy 2nd hand first & buy new only if I can't find what I am looking for.

John.