• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Images to test out new Mount

Started by Carole, Apr 17, 2011, 23:24:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I got to the end of my tether with guiding and finally came to the conclusion that a lot of my problems were because of using 2nd hand mounts which probably needed some tweaking to get them working properly and for me this is not an option.  I can operate, but not fix, so if it doesn't do what it's supposed to do I'm stuck.  
So I bit the bullet and bought myself a brand new NEQ6.

Yes I know it's heavy but I won't be asking for help to lift it.  I went down to Stonehenge this weekend and did a couple of images to try it out.  OK I know it was a full Moon but the main purpose was to try out the NEQ6 and test out the guiding.

Everything worked perfectly, however because of the Moon and the murky conditions the resulting images were not as good as they could have been.  I was forced to do 3mins maximum because the sky was too bright on longer subs.

Anyway, for what it's worth:
M51 23 x 3mins (lots of gradients and noise) but still better than previous attempts.

Carole

I started to do M13 at around 2.30am, but hadn't noticed it was actually becoming foggy (too long looking at the laptop instead of at the sky).  Only 3 x 3min subs 800 ISO (through foggy conditions) ;).  

Very noisy, and again gradients to process out.

Carole

Mac

Good start to the new mount.

but why Stonehenge and not London?

the full moon far outshines any light pollution from London.

Mac.

mickw

Hmm, the results are fine but was the successful guiding due to the new mount or the rural skies ?

Hopefully youll get the same results from Bromley.

You'll also need another mount for the obsy.  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

Quotebut why Stonehenge and not London?
Because I was going to Stonehenge anyway. I went with the UKAI group for their Gravity DSC.

QuoteYou'll also need another mount for the obsy.
Yeah, but one step at a time.  Need to sell existing mount/s and ETX105 to square the bank account!!!!

Don't have the correct pier adapter as yet to put the NEQ6 on the pier, so will use that for DSC for the immediate future, then put it on the pier and have a re-think about whether I will use the (Original) CG5 GT for DSC, or sell it and remove the NEQ6 every time we go until I can afford a 2nd (new) DSC mount.

I have to say what a pleasure it was to use after all the hassles I have had.  Object was bang in the centre of the FOV every time (never had that before, almost always had to slew it to get it central).

Advantages of the NEQ6 over the CG5 GT:

a) Takes heavier scope no problem.
b) Has lit Reticle in polar axis scope.
c) Does not have sticking out motor housings which often get stuck and/or catch on cables.
d) I could not see through the polar axis scope properly on the pier with the CG5 GT because of the pier plate which was right where my chin needed to go.  I knew this was not a problem with an EQ6 as I already tried it as I knew some-one who had the same pier and NEQ6.
e) NEQ6 is quiet.  Whereas the CG5 GT is very noisy and I was feeling very awkward at 2am in the morning if I needed to slew the mount (even just to put it back to park) in case the neighbours could hear and I would get complaints.  

Rocket Pooch

Carol,

I'm after a cheap second mount if your going to sell the old one.

Chris

Mike

Glad you've got yourself a decent mount at last Carole. Ity was obvious from Kelling that the old one was made of gorgonzola (or so it seemed). You should get greatly improved images and nice easy guiding with the EQ6.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

QuoteI'm after a cheap second mount if your going to sell the old one.
Hi Chris, I am selling my DSC CG5 GT in the first instance (as opposed to the CG5 GT in the obsy) and I want to sell it for what I paid for it which was £300, and between a chappie at Kelling and Robert, the spare CG5 GT is now fully functioning. (Many thanks Robert).

I do have a prospective buyer at the moment so will let you know if it falls through, although you might not want to pay £300 for it.

Carole

Tony G

Carole,

Did the previous owner who you purchased the mount from, know that there was a problem with it when they sold it to you?

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

QuoteDid the previous owner who you purchased the mount from, know that there was a problem with it when they sold it to you?

It was sold to me under the impression it was working OK.
To be fair he bought it second hand in the first place as part of a set up (but didn't need the mount) and I don't think he knew the history or really used it.

So no, they didn't know there was a problem and when there was he was very good and sorted it out, so no complaints there, he's been very fair. 

Carole

Mac

Why dont you strip the ETX and use the OTA on your new mount,

Mac.

Carole

QuoteWhy dont you strip the ETX and use the OTA on your new mount,
I've got a separate ETX125 (OTA) already stripped which I can put on the EQ mount. 

I am hoping to sell the ETX105 to help towards the cost of the NEQ6 as I really only use this now for Public events.

Carole

Tony G

Quote from: Carole on Apr 18, 2011, 08:49:50
I do have a prospective buyer at the moment.

Does the prospective buyer know there is a problem?
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

MarkS

Carole,

Looks like a very successful test of the new mount.

Let's hope your problems are all over and you can get down to some serious imaging!

Mark

Carole

QuoteDoes the prospective buyer know there is a problem?

It has been fixed, but in any case the prospective buyer's brother knows all about it and what has been happening.  He only needs it for Observing and the GOTO was working OK anyway, he's currently using a manual mount and just fancied a GOTO.

Carole