• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Possible new laptop.

Started by doug, Apr 14, 2011, 10:15:28

Previous topic - Next topic

doug

I have a question that one of you knowledgeable people can probably help me with.  :)

I am thinking about getting a new laptop, as the Sony`s battery has had it, and the laptop itself is playing up somewhat now and again.  I haven`t decided what model to get; probably a Samsung or equivalent; not too expensive ... around £300 - £350.  Now cames the crunch question.  How do I transfer all my pictures and all the other information onto the new laptop?  Programmes I can re-download, such as the AVG Security, the OAS site and all the rest of the stuff like that, but what about the rest??

I would really appreciate some help with this question and it would seem that some of you out there could assist.

Thanks, Doug.  :cheesy:
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Mike

Doug,

You can get replacement batteries.

I would strongly recommend a reformat and reinstall of Windows before you consider spending money on a new one.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Doug,

I can pop over and have a look at it, also if you do need to transfer anything I have an external disk we can use.  PM me with you phone number and I'll give you a shout.

Chris

JohnP

Doug - I would highly recommend buying yourself an external hard drive - you should be using one of these for backup anyway if you have precious stuff on your laptop. You can also use this to transfer all your pictures if you need to. For less than £50 you can get 1Tb or more nowadays (>1000gigabytes)

John

doug

Thanks for all your comments and help. At the moment the laptop is behaving itself and working reasonable well, so I am hanging fire at the present time, but I have taken all your help to heart. And Mike; I don`t know about re-formatting and stuff; that will be a whole new ball game for me.

Thanks again.  I`ll keep you posted.  By the way, a new battery for this model is around £100..... I suppose it`s cheaper than a new laptop.

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

mickw

Doug, you should try using the laptop without plugging it in and run the battery completely down before plugging it in again and do this a few times.  I believe it's bad to keep a laptop plugged in and at full charge all the time.

A new battery from Sony will be expensive.  Try Maplins
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

Try booting to the bios and see if there is a battery reset option,
Some laptops allow you to drain the battery completely and then reset the amount of charge that they indicate.

Mac.