• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

AVG Anti Virus

Started by Rocket Pooch, Apr 14, 2011, 02:14:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

I use AVG Anti Virus and have been for years, the week however one of my laptops was getting quite slow, the disk space was filling up and also generally it was not a happy bunny.

I checked the PC out and noticed a couple of things, 1-AVG was creating loads of dump files, there were filling up the drive, 2-AVG was crating 1,000 of log files.  I deleted these and then bingo 22gb back.

The file location above are \\program data\avg9\log and \\program data\avg9\dumps

Also I downloaded Auslogics to defrag the drive, a lot better than the standard microsoft product, and its doing really well at optimising the disk.

Computers who would have them!

Chris

Fay

That AVG cracks me up. I find it for invasive than Nortons, even. Once you switch on, it gets going & nothing else can be done until it finishes half hour later!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Hi Fay,

You can schedule the startup options to stop that from happening. 

Chris

Mac

Fay if you use AVG and its hanging on boot, try pressing the escape button, It might quit the scan and boot quicker,

Works for avast.

Mac.

Fay

Thing is, I don't like to stop what it wants to do, when I am going online, in case something gets thru
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!