• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Seeing Tonight

Started by Carole, Mar 28, 2011, 21:41:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Despite not seeing any clouds in Bromley, the seeing is awful tonight, I can hardly see Orion's belt, and only the highest magnitude stars can be seen at all and there's a glow over to the West. 

Hmmm, Just looked on Bromley Football club's website:

Next Match
Bromley v Thurrock
Tues 29th March 2011 - KO 7.45pm

What's the seeing like elsewhere in Bromley/Chislehurst/Orpington?

Carole

Mike

A nice night to go out and test something like guiding then or get alignment done with EQMOD rather than do imaging.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

PhilB

"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Rick

Sports lighting does a pretty good job of revealing the low-level transparency. It was a bit murky last night.

Rocket Pooch

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I thought seeing is how stable it is and transparency is how clear it is, correct?

Rick

Correct. I had a brain-fade. Wouldn't be the first time...

Tony G

Quote from: Carole on Mar 28, 2011, 21:41:22
there's a glow over to the West. 

Hmmm, Just looked on Bromley Football club's website:

Next Match
Bromley v Thurrock
Tues 29th March 2011 - KO 7.45pm

But is that game not tonight? :-?

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

MarkS

Quote from: Tony G
But is that game not tonight? :-?

Yes, but the light pollution travels faster than the speed of light and arrives before it left.

Tony G

Do you think they could put the score up on the scoreboard in lights, then and I could have a little flutter at the bookies and win a few quid.
We could also let the losing team know not to turn up! :o

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

QuoteBut is that game not tonight?
Yes you're right, that's what retirement does for you you forget which day of the week it is when you don't have to go to work!!!

So what was that glow on the western horizon then? 

QuoteI thought seeing is how stable it is and transparency is how clear it is, correct?
Well whatever it's called I couldn't see anything.

Carole

mickw

QuoteSo what was that glow on the western horizon then?

Sunset  :cheesy:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

QuoteSunset
Well it lingered a lot longer than usual, unless it was just because of the poor sky conditions. 

Carole

Tony G

Mac

Just to let you know, down here,

the seeing is absolutely perfect,
and the transparency is perfect

all the way up to the base of the clouds,
;)

Mac

Fay

Ok Mac, you've said enough!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!