• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M51 QSI 070311

Started by Fay, Mar 08, 2011, 14:18:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Well I had to do something last night. Would have normally done a galaxy with the 120.

There is some star flare, but have ordered the correct spacer. Could be some gradient, but difficult to see on this computer.

QSI/ED80 20x300, L, 0.8fr, flats dks bias, stacked in DSS

Quite a learning curve. It is different to the Atik. Have to remember a lot of new things & still learning. Once I have focus & framing, I should be better.

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Well done Fay, nice start
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Well thanks Mick. I would normally have used a CLS filter, but nowhere to put it if I am using a fr

Mac

Nice capture for a start,

Mac.

Fay

RobertM

Nice start Fay, not too shoddy for a first light :)

Fay

well Robert, thankyou, I will be ok once I know why what etc etc. It was only a trial I had messed about for 3 hours!!!!

PhilB

Very nice, Fay. Especially so given the experimental nature of the session.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

MarkS

That's a great first light Fay.

I quite like seeing a lonely galaxy sitting in a wide star field like that - it gives a real sense of perspective.

I'm quite surprised how much faint stuff can be seen - especially as you did this without a filter.

Mark

Fay

Well I think I have it sussed now. (famous last words, I will probably eat them before the night is over) Framed @ 4x4 took 7secs, focused, bit dubious, but ok, 2x2, no figures showing in X & Y & I think if the shape of the rectangle is not to aa's liking , it does not show the star in the focus box. That is what it looks like anyway.

A minor glitch, it was only doing the first sub of a sequence & not saving it,  not sure why. I closed aa down & restarted & it is saving now.
That has happened a few times, I will suddenly realise what is not liked.

I am absolutely worn out today & was just going outside to sort a couple of things, but happy to be out longer now it is working ok.

Fay

Thanks Mark, yes I will only be able to use a cls with galaxies, if I do not use the flattener & put the 2" nosepiece on the QSI & put my 2" filter in the end. Perhaps I don't need a flattener for a galaxy if it is cropped.

MarkS

Do you mean you don't have a filterwheel?

Fay

Yes but the L filter is used for galaxies. I used to screw a cls on the end of the nose

Tony G

Lovely image Fay. You must try this in colour.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

MarkS

Why don't you put the CLS in the filter wheel?