• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Venus transit 5 June 2012

Started by The Thing, Feb 21, 2011, 22:01:19

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

I just read about this in the US Astronomy magazine. It would be good to organise a transit event if its visible in the UK. Won't be another for a century!

Tony G

Duncan,

I think this is only visible from the Pacific region.  :(

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

It's not supposed to be visible from this country but we had our turn in 2004.

Carole

Mac

Its visible from most of the globe, just the part thats in daylight,

Hawaii looks most suitable.
Mac.

MarkS

That's the problem with reading stuff in foreign magazines!!!

mickw

We need to put the clocks back 10 hours
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

The Thing

Thought that might be the case. Looks like a long haul holiday might be in order.

Tony G

Quote from: The Thing on Feb 22, 2011, 07:32:59
Thought that might be the case. Looks like a long haul holiday might be in order.

Does that mean you're walking to the next DSC. ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

The Thing

The transit will be visible from London, at least the very end.

Otherwise it's Hawaii or Tahiti or Tonga or Bora Bora... and it's my 50th that year AND the wife likes the idea. Dear oh dear, better start saving.

Mac

If its the Hawaiian islands you choose, I can personally recommend this one in Maui.

http://www.fairmont.com/kealani

spent my honeymoon there.

Mac

The Thing

Seemingly the longest visible transit will be seen from southern Iceland, which isn't too far. Technical Details.

The Thing

I have been out to scout a site for observing the transit. I have decided that  Joss Bay, Broadstairs is ideal. It has a north to north east facing cliff edge car park that is tarmacked to a position far from the main part of the car park and the road. The car park has no barrier.

As long as the weather is totally ridiculous I will be there for the Wednesday morning sunrise as I will never get another chance to see a transit of Venus and even a glimpse will be worth it.

Carole

It's possible I am going to be in Penzance on that day, but I guess being further west I will stand even less chance of seeing it.  I saw the previous transit at Greenwich and saw the full works, so not too disappointed if I miss this one.

I'll take my eclipse specs with me though on the off chance.

Carole

Mike

It will be visible after sunrise on the 6th June as long as you have an excellent view of the horizon (and the sky is clear).

Next chance to see one will be in 2117.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

doug

Bugger...... I shall have to miss that one.  I won`t be available..... :!

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...