• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

No sound on Laptop

Started by Fay, Feb 10, 2011, 11:39:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

I have had no sound on my laptop for a while. All the sound settings are ok, not on mute. Even the windows opening & closing sounds do not work, no sound at all. Do you think I should download updated sound drivers from Microsoft?

Thanks   
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Take a look in "control panel" - "sounds and audio devices" to see if it's turned off in there.

Or  "control panel" - "system" - "hardware" -  "device manager" - and see if you have any yellow triangles in "sound, video and game controllers".  If yes, you should be able to update the driver by "right clicking" on the offending item then follow instructions
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

mickw

No earphones plugged in ?  Volume not turned down ?

Outdated drivers should not make something stop working, new drivers should make it work better  :-?

I suppose download new drivers might work but I think the trouble may be elsewhere

Fay

yes I think it could be elsewhere. I thought the windows sound came from a different place to, say, a cd

Mac

QuoteVolume not turned down ?

Have you checked all the volumes and all the mutes?

master volume control and wave
also check the advance settings as you have a further mute in there for the pc speaker.

Have you tried to play an mp3?

Mac.

Fay

checked advance, all settings seem ok. Perhaps something has gone inside. Have notgot mp 3, only cd

mickw

Do CDs play through the laptop speakers ?

Fay

mickw

Sounds like it's broken....................

Buy a new one  :twisted:

Or not

As you don't have any warning triangles in control panel, it's possible the sound card/section has died.  Downloading new drivers might work

Fay

Mike

Try some software - Driver Genius Professional. Works well for finding just the right driver for any PC's. I tend to use it after a new install of Windoze.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Ok thanks Mike, will look it up