• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M81, M82 and another fuzzy 31.1.2011

Started by Carole, Feb 01, 2011, 15:47:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

My first attempt at these galaxies.  Glad to have got them but I can see I need to do a lot more subs from a dark site.  

24 x 6mins (my longest subs to date), + darks, flats and Bias
Modified Canon EOS 450D with CLS clip filter
WO Megrez 72 APO, guided with ST 80, QHY5 and PHD
Stacked in DSS and processed in PS CS3

Usual guiding problems these were the best of the bunch. 

Fay

Nice to see Ursa Major again, nice image Carole
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

Nice capture,

Looks like you getting the hand of it now.
Mac.

Fay

How is your progress with the obsy Mac?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Fuzzy is NGC 3077

Very nice

Same as my image from October DSC - but better - cow  :P
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

Carole

Thanks Fay and Mac.

QuoteFuzzy is NGC 3077
Also thanks for this Mick, tried to look it up on Starry Night and Stellarium, but was not even shown let alone labelled.

Carole

PhilB

Nice image, Carole. Good to see that you didn't fall victim to the mist that collected here.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Carole

Quotethe mist that collected here.
that's a bummer Phil, no, it was clear up to about midnight (ish).

Carole

RobertM

That's a really good start Carole, you will find the faint stuff is really hard work.  I think you'll need 4x the subs to get something noise free.

Robert

Carole

QuoteI think you'll need 4x the subs to get something noise free.

So I am realising Robert.  I'm treating my "first try images of each object" as a practice go to suss out what's required.

I think a dark site will help too.

Carole

MarkS

A great result there Carole for a light polluted site! 
M81 and M82 is always a good combination - is it that time of year already?

My only slight criticism is that the core of M82 looks burnt out - no colour coming through.  Check the subs to see if they are burnt out, also.  Otherwise it's a processing problem.

Mark

Carole

QuoteMy only slight criticism is that the core of M82 looks burnt out - no colour coming through.  Check the subs to see if they are burnt out, also.

Will do.  Some of the feedback I have been getting suggests it's difficult to process these two galaxies together as the degree of brightness is different, so now I know that I might try a re-process.
I must say examining the single raw files I was hoping for better detail from M82.

Carole

Carole

Been fiddling around with this for days.  Quite difficult to progress M82 separately. 
But this is my best effort:

Think I might have managed to get the sky slightly darker too.

Carole