• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M42 and IC434, 300111

Started by Fay, Feb 01, 2011, 15:16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Frozen solid, last night, took ages and ages to get both subjects in same frame. I could see M42 but was not sure where HH was in relation to it, it went on & on.

Tried to get EQMOD going, I could not get it to work, but it does have to be opened in a certain order regarding the planetarium prog as well, I could not remember which was first, so gave up. 

Anyway, 19x240, 10x8sec, 6x10sec, 6x60sec, Canon 350D, Leitz APO F3.4 180mm, stacked in DSS, processed PS

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

That's excellent Fay.

I commiserate with all the problems I know what it's like.

Carole

Mac

Nice image, cant wait to get there.
Not long now.

Fay

Thanks Mac & Carole, bit of suffering went on last night!

PhilB

Nice image, Fay. That lens seems to works as well as you had hoped.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

RobertM

Good work, that's very ambitious but has turned out really well.  You could go for more subs but would need a dark site.  I especially like the way it seems like part of a much larger panorama and I'd be thrilled with that myself.

Robert

Fay

Robert, how kind. It is not perfect by a long shot, but glad you like it. If I had got going sooner, I would have had a lot more subs

MarkS

Fay,

A nicely composed image - well worth the time taken to set it up.  It has been processed very well and there's a lot of "faint stuff" just beginning to appear.

The halos around the main stars are well controlled - so that's an excellent lens/camera combination.

Which filter did you use?

Mark

Fay

Thanks Mark. Just the modified Canon with a clip in cls. I can see vertical red lines, any idea what causes that Mark? I did not do darks, although did some yesterday & am in the process of re doing it to see if the stripes go away

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
I can see vertical red lines, any idea what causes that Mark?

Can you post an example (a crop will do).  It sounds like it might be "patterning" on the CCD.  Bias frames and flats should remove most of it.  However, the best solution is to use dithering when shooting.  I always use dithering - Nebulosity integrates well with PHD to do this.

Fay

Mark, I could do some bias & re process, as I have now taken some darks as well