• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Baader Solar Film

Started by Mike, May 26, 2004, 18:37:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

If anyone is having trouble getting hold of Baader Solar Film for the transit, it can be purchased from Swoptics at http://www.swoptics.co.uk for £14.99 for an A4 sheet with free delivery.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

The full link to the product's page is http://www.swoptics.co.uk/view.asp?KEY=1683

Thanks Mike.

[ This Message was edited by: Rick on 2004-05-26 11:13 ]

spendrey

I've just bought a sheet of this which should be turning up at the end of the week.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how I should go about making a filter out of it?
What have other people used?

Mike

When you getthe sheet it also includes an insttruction document that shows you how to make one.

The usual way is to wrap a strip of cardboard around the end of the scope and tape it together. Then do the same again over the top of it. Then remove the outer ring and place the sheet of film over it. Then push the outer ring over the sheet and pull the sheet till it is roughly flat with just a few wrinkles. Finally tape it all together so it stays in one piece.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

spendrey

Thanks Mike, let's hope the weather's better than this next week!

JohnP

I've just made my filter following the instructions in the pack - I must admit it wasn't that easy as the A4 sheet barely covers the 6-inch aperture of my reflector. Still I managed to do it without ripping it! It doesn't look all that smooth - Hopefully it'll work.

Cheers,  John

Mike

John,

That is exactly how you want it. It isnt meant to be smooth, it works better if it has a few wrinkles so don't worry about it.

Whitters

Remember to check the filter each time you use it, to check the filter hold it up to the sun and check for any pin pricks, these are enough to do for your eyes or cameras once on the scope.